Squirrel stove 6kw or 4kw

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

I am just about to purchase a squirrel for my 45ft boat (placing the order today). The question is do i go for the 1410 4kw or the 1410 6kw clean heat (both are the same dimentions). I can afford the extra £80 for the clean heat but will it be overkill. The boat is 45ft with a mikuni radiator heating, but i want to use that as little as possible with the increase in fuel price.

All the website calculators suggest that i need a 4kw to heat it.

I have never had a stove before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Tim Doran

I am just about to purchase a squirrel for my 45ft boat (placing the order today). The question is do i go for the 1410 4kw or the 1410 6kw clean heat (both are the same dimentions). I can afford the extra £80 for the clean heat but will it be overkill. The boat is 45ft with a mikuni radiator heating, but i want to use that as little as possible with the increase in fuel price.

All the website calculators suggest that i need a 4kw to heat it.

I have never had a stove before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Our Boatman stove is 4kw and easily heats the 45ft or so of boat that we use in winter.

Or, if you are feeling flush, buy the big one and do not so much fuel in it. :angry:

All ratings of stoves are when they are being run at full rate, on one of the websites it suggested that about 2Kw was sufficient for a sixty foot boat.

Remember that a sixty foot trad boat only has about 48ft of cabin space.

Your 45ft boat will only have about 33ft if trad less if cruiser stern.

If you buy the higher rated one you will need more low-level ventilation for the BSC survey, when the time comes. As others have said, the 4kW is more than adequate and you won't be using it flat out anyway. Our 4kW Squirrel keeps our 48-footer toasty warm.

Save the 80 squid and buy some coal!

Ian

Sorry eastern you lost me there a Squirrel is a solid fuel stove, it will do all three of the below, I do not know of different models but am willing to be informed.

Convection: the circulatory motion that occurs in a fluid (or gas) at a non-uniform temperature owing to the variation of its density and the action of gravity

Radiation: the process of emitting radiant energy in the form of waves or particles

Conduction: the transfer of heat through matter by communication of kinetic energy from particle to particle with no net displacement of the particles

Sorry eastern you lost me there a Squirrel is a solid fuel stove, it will do all three of the below, I do not know of different models but am willing to be informed.

Convection: the circulatory motion that occurs in a fluid (or gas) at a non-uniform temperature owing to the variation of its density and the action of gravity

Radiation: the process of emitting radiant energy in the form of waves or particles

Conduction: the transfer of heat through matter by communication of kinetic energy from particle to particle with no net displacement of the particles

I think Morso (as well as some other manufacturers) make what they call "convection" type solid fuel stoves which are double skinned so the outside casing of the stove doesn't get as hot as their regular models. Instead the majority of the heat is emitted through vents in outer casing.

Edited by blackrose

Have done a bit of googling and found that Morso indeed do, do stoves they call 'convector' they are different versions of their radiant models. They appear to be more expensive, £150 or more, than the 'standard' radiation model.

Convector Sqirrel

morso_squirrel_1440_sml.jpg

Another day another fact to store away. :stop:

Have done a bit of googling and found that Morso indeed do, do stoves they call 'convector' they are different versions of their radiant models. They appear to be more expensive, £150 or more, than the 'standard' radiation model.

Convector Sqirrel

morso_squirrel_1440_sml.jpg

Another day another fact to store away. :stop:

Is there an echo in here?

Is there an echo in here?

I don't think so if you read my post #7 I had not heard of a specifically described convecting stove.

When I read your post #8 I decided to have a google, I then replied with my last post and acknowledged that I had learnt something, the :stop: was meant for you.

Edit: to remove a snide remark

Edited by bottle