Lukewarm water

Orphiel

Featured Posts

I used to get hot water no problem out of my Paloma, which is a pretty nifty thing, but lately all I can get is lukewarm. Occasionally if I turn the pilot on and leave it for a couple of hours first I get hot water for a few seconds, then cold water again. This has been happening for a couple of months now so I am all smelly*. Ideas? The hot water is really low pressure as well, I do not know if this is the same thing or separate.

Meg

*Actually mainly wash elsewhere** due to the above but it is a bugger for washing up.

** Honest.

I used to get hot water no problem out of my Paloma, which is a pretty nifty thing, but lately all I can get is lukewarm. Occasionally if I turn the pilot on and leave it for a couple of hours first I get hot water for a few seconds, then cold water again. This has been happening for a couple of months now so I am all smelly*. Ideas? The hot water is really low pressure as well, I do not know if this is the same thing or separate.

Meg

*Actually mainly wash elsewhere** due to the above but it is a bugger for washing up.

** Honest.

You need to find the cause of the low pressure (eg: faulty water pump) as that is the cause of your Paloma problem. The Paloma will only switch ON the main gas valve (and thus heat the water) if the incoming water is above a certain pressure.

Chris

Hi,

Is there a temperature control knob at the bottom that needs turning up now winter is fully upon us?

Is your cold water pressure as good as it's always been? Did the problem come on suddenly or gradually?

If it's not marginal water pressure from the pump, then the Paloma may well need expert attention.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Hi,

Is there a temperature control knob at the bottom that needs turning up now winter is fully upon us?

Is your cold water pressure as good as it's always been? Did the problem come on suddenly or gradually?

If it's not marginal water pressure from the pump, then the Paloma may well need expert attention.

cheers,

Pete.

it is more likely to be the diaphragm in the Paloma itself. A good chandlery should have them in stock or be able to get them for you. They do need replacing every few years if you live on board (I changed ours twice in seven years on the narrowboat)

Giles.

it is more likely to be the diaphragm in the Paloma itself. A good chandlery should have them in stock or be able to get them for you. They do need replacing every few years if you live on board (I changed ours twice in seven years on the narrowboat)

True, might explain why it works OK for a few seconds.

Another thread on it here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=907

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Giles.

Before doing that check the union where the cold water enters the unit. Some instant gas water heaters have a small strainer here that gets clogged and gives your symptoms.

I used to get hot water no problem out of my Paloma, which is a pretty nifty thing, but lately all I can get is lukewarm. Occasionally if I turn the pilot on and leave it for a couple of hours first I get hot water for a few seconds, then cold water again. This has been happening for a couple of months now? The hot water is really low pressure as well, I do not know if this is the same thing or separate.

No sign of any puddles?

How does the cold/hot pressure compare? Paloma will introduce a slight pressure drop, but is the cold lower pressure than normal?

Does the Paloma light up and stay on or is it switching on and off?

The right hand knob controls the temperature, has this been altered?

Could be frost damge (water pump, accumulator or Paloma), blockage in the water supply (e.g. filter) or a problem with the gas valve!

Hi all, thanks for queries and advice.

To answer some questions: the cold water pressure is as fine as ever. Have spotted no puddles, and the paloma does go on and stay on. Have not fiddled with the temp. knob, which is turned right up to the top as for winter.

I doubt it is the water pump, as this was replaced only a couple of months ago for a brand new one, and does not sound or look odd.

Not sure how I would check for frost damage on the Paloma, any suggestions?

Also, I am not sure where the cold water enters the unit to have a look here, is this in a standard place for all of them? Similar with the diaphragm. Sorry, am a bit clueless as nothing gone wrong with it before so left well alone!

Meg

Agree with comments relating to filter on inlet to a Paloma - its amazing what crap gets into your water tank. Its not difficult to check this filter you need to find the inlet pipe and undo the union where it goes into heater, the gauze filter should be there. Another cause of the problem could be an airlock with in the heating element. I'm not certain if there is a bleed screw on it - can anyone else help on this point. We took our Paloma out a couple of years ago so can't go and look at one.

To answer some questions: the cold water pressure is as fine as ever. Have spotted no puddles, and the paloma does go on and stay on. Have not fiddled with the temp. knob, which is turned right up to the top as for winter.

I doubt it is the water pump, as this was replaced only a couple of months ago for a brand new one, and does not sound or look odd.

Not sure how I would check for frost damage on the Paloma, any suggestions?

Also, I am not sure where the cold water enters the unit to have a look here, is this in a standard place for all of them? Similar with the diaphragm. Sorry, am a bit clueless as nothing gone wrong with it before so left well alone!

Good, no problem with the supply pressure then.

Normally with frost damage, something leaks, either the heater coil, gas valve etc, so there would be a puddle under the Poloma.

The water flow will reduce if the temperature knob is turned up, this is because it makes the water hotter by keeping it in the heater coil longer, therby reducing the flow. If you need more flow, turn the tempewrature down, if you need hotter water, turn it up!

If its the same as mine (left to right) gas, hot outlet, cold inlet. If it has a sieve filter, turn the water off, disconnect the water inlet and there should be a plastic cone thingy (like you get in some washing machine) stuck up the inlet pipe, might need cleaning!