12V TV

Broughton 2

Featured Posts

There are 21" lcd tv's about at 12 volts, plenty big enough for a boat i would have thought. Have one myself that can also be used as a monitor, can't remember the make off hand. I simply cut the lead off the supplied 240 volt transformer and wired it in to the 12 volt switch for the tv transformer rediundant :lol:

This one on e-bay at 20" Item number: 130209648573 is a lot of tv for the money integrated dvd player, monitor freeview.

£229.00

Unless you want a bigger screen, it's much more energy efficient to run a tv from 12 volt especially LCD tv's

Someone mentioned a tv card, have one of those too which will end up in the boat with the comp.

As usual this thread may as well be a proposal for 'electrical discussions on Canalworld forums' to be a demonstration sport in the 2012 Olympics... ;-)

One offered rule of thumb (not definite, but what is in this world) is that if it's sold for car/mobile use - especially if it comes with a cigarette lighter adapter - then it should* be able to cope with alternator charging voltages, and if it doesn't at least you've a better chance with the guarantee. If not, then it'll probably work anyway. My little 7" freeview telly did, and is used in conjunction with a car radio/CD player - all I need. There's nothing wrong with voltage regulators/conditioners, by all means get one if you want one.

I'm with Blueprince's thoughts, otherwise. ;-)

* usual disclaimers apply

If you don't like the answers, b*gger off and get yourself an education. Then, just maybe, you'll be able to contribute something of value for a change.

Forum members give their time, suggestions and advice free of charge. As with most things in life, there is rarely one correct answer to technical problems but a range of answers, which is why one gets many views represented.

I could give you absolutely correct answers, but it would need a signed month-long contract, and I suspect you would baulk at my £2K/day consultancy fee. So, until then, appreciate what you get for free. It's some of the best value on offer anywhere.

Chris

Well said :lol:

There's no such thing as a stupid question if the person asking doesn't know the answer. On other forums I've probably answered the same question dozens of times. As new members come on to forums for knowledge, of course you'll get what's percieved as stupid questions.

As chris says, people go on to forums for info and advice, and many like myself to give that info or opinion as well as recieve it. That's what it's all about, that's why people are here.

If you don't like the answers, b*gger off and get yourself an education. Then, just maybe, you'll be able to contribute something of value for a change.

Forum members give their time, suggestions and advice free of charge. As with most things in life, there is rarely one correct answer to technical problems but a range of answers, which is why one gets many views represented.

I could give you absolutely correct answers, but it would need a signed month-long contract, and I suspect you would baulk at my £2K/day consultancy fee. So, until then, appreciate what you get for free. It's some of the best value on offer anywhere.

Chris

Note the smiley - I'm all for constructive answers, and added my own, in a constructive manner. I referred to the rather confrontational responses given, as exemplified above. As you yourself admit, there's rarely one right answer, and if that was acknowledged more often in these discussions, it would be a more welcoming place. Being told to 'b*gger off' doesn't really help anyone, not least the person who writes it. I haven't questioned the quality of the answers, or the fact that the question was asked in the first place - did I say it was a 'stupid question', or even infer such a thing? Would I have answered a 'stupid question'?

I've no need to justify my education, thanks, although it's well worth justifying. I don't even need to impress by boasting about my daily rate, either.

I'm sure everyone here is a great laugh in a pub, friendly at locks and loves their mother. It's a shame it doesn't come across that way.

Call me an old hippy, but let's be nice to each other, 'k?

i have a question and didn't realy want to start a new thread,

i have a tv that has a 12v 2AMP adapter/transformer that goes to the mains, the instruction manual says it is only designed to run off the 240v supply,

but i have bought a cheap 12v volt regulator that says its 2AMP, it runs the tv no problem, what i need to know is: i want to run my freeview box and ariel from the same power line both are 12v 500mA each, i will split the power cord into 3 after the regulator. Now will that mean i need a regulator of the combined ampage of 3amps or does it just work out at the highest amp drawing appliance,

pluss, if i need a higher amp regulator would i just be able to swap the 2amp fuse in the fag lighter end of the regulator for a higher fuse?

thanks

i have a question and didn't realy want to start a new thread,

i have a tv that has a 12v 2AMP adapter/transformer that goes to the mains, the instruction manual says it is only designed to run off the 240v supply,

but i have bought a cheap 12v volt regulator that says its 2AMP, it runs the tv no problem, what i need to know is: i want to run my freeview box and ariel from the same power line both are 12v 500mA each, i will split the power cord into 3 after the regulator. Now will that mean i need a regulator of the combined ampage of 3amps or does it just work out at the highest amp drawing appliance,

You will need regulator that can cope with at least 3amps.

pluss, if i need a higher amp regulator would i just be able to swap the 2amp fuse in the fag lighter end of the regulator for a higher fuse?

You cannot just increase the fuse size, the internals may not be designed for the greater load

thanks

Sorry looks like you will need a new one.

You need at least a 3 amp regulator

thanks

Yes - increase to 5A to stop current surges at switch-on from blowing the fuse. Don't put a higher fuse than 5A in though.

Chris.

thanks bottle i had a funny suspicion that was the case,

ok i know its been asked a million times but how safe do you think it will be to just miss the regulator out and make up a line with a 3 amp fuse,

oh my batteries are only used for the tv and are not connected to an alternator or anything. and they are allowed to run flat whilst watching the tv!! or were when we used an inverter.

oh no now i've got conflicting replys, so i don't know what to do, eeeek :hug:

Edited by tru171

Hi True

They are not conflicting really, I just misread your post a little.

The orignal plug can have its fuse replaced with a 3 to 5 amp (as Chris says) I read it that you thought you could just increase the size of the fuse, my reference was to the internals of the existing regulator.

So just to clarify, you can use the original plug with higher rated fuse but will need a new regulator.

Hi True

They are not conflicting really, I just misread your post a little.

The orignal plug can have its fuse replaced with a 3 to 5 amp (as Chris says) I read it that you thought you could just increase the size of the fuse, my reference was to the internals of the existing regulator.

So just to clarify, you can use the original plug with higher rated fuse but will need a new regulator.

thanks again,

sorry i should of been more clear, you were right the first time, my 12v regulator has a fag lighter plug on the end with a 2amp fuse in (battery end before regulator), i did mean just swap the fuse in that for a bigger one hopeing to make the regulator 3amp , but as you said this would probably overload the regulator or some thing,

what you think to useing NO regulator and just 3amp fuse on a direct 12v line

thanks again,

sorry i should of been more clear, you were right the first time, my 12v regulator has a fag lighter plug on the end with a 2amp fuse in (battery end before regulator), i did mean just swap the fuse in that for a bigger one hopeing to make the regulator 3amp , but as you said this would probably overload the regulator or some thing,

In that case, I misread the post. You cannot up the power of a regulator simply by changing fuse value.

Chris

Edited by chris w