Hire Companies

Jon

Featured Posts

Viking

I know that Clifton Cruisers have had two new boats go into their smallish fleet this year. One had an interesting bathroom arrangement in that there were two identical shower rooms(each with loo, handbasin & shower), one the mirror inage of the other, each being a triangle. A corridor between them took you from one side of the boat, so they were sort of a cross boat bathroom.

Clifton boats have always looked OK to me when I have seen them.

The large windows on the Napton boats are great. Its a really nice design feature. I've seen the ocasional Viking Afloat boat, they also look OK.

I'm going to add these to the links directory.

Jon

My recent (last 4 years) experiences;

Wyvern Shippin - Superb

Clifton Cruisers - Very good

Viking Afloat - shocking

We've got one of the big flashy Napton boats (Riviera fleet I think)next May, should be interesting.....

Steve Sugg

We had a fantastic time with Sally boats a couple of years ago. Very clean, good boats, easy to handle, decent polite staff quick turnaround.

My only criticism is their tutition was awful, if I had not been experienced there would have been problems!

When we have hired from Anglo Welsh they have been good, although I wasn't very convinced at the vintage of the engine which conked out on us in teh last of the Stourbridge 16. Still to their credit, they were out within half an hour and fixed it, then phoned us 2 days later to offer putting a new engine in.

Willow Wren, good but VERY VERY VERY basic!

Jools

Can you elaborate on the reasons why Stephen?

Jon

Can you elaborate on the reasons why Stephen?

Jon

The wyvern boat was very good (Clover, 65ft ish, four birth) service was nice and firendly.

The clifton boat (Hardwick 57ft) was nice and tidy, good engine, nice people. They have a nice fleet, very smart looikng.

The Viking boat (Sigard, 42ft 2 berth) was very sparse, had a broken window. The engine was awful, smoked all through the rev range, basically we left a black cloud behind us for a week! To be fair I met another hirer on a Viking boat from a different base, she loved her boat, so maybe it wss the base at fault.

Stephen

I've finally taken the plunge and registered so that I can put in my penny's worth. I've been 'lurking' for sometime and enjoy your topics. My geeky son tells me that a lurker is someone who just reads forums rather than participating, I always think it makes me sound like someone rather 'dubious' though.

I first went on a canal holiday in 1968 (as a child) and have managed to do some canalling every decade since! Recently this has really taken off with my family and we have been on canal holidays 5 summers running and we are currently planning next summer's trip.

Our chosen hire company seems to have become Black Prince. A little pricey but the boats are good. We are going to book a fortnight and as long as we book early we will get the second week half price. We like the layout of the dining/sitting area of the boats we've had from them. They all have a free standing table and chairs. This means I can get enough space to lie on the floor so that I can do my exercises (to ward off my bad back!!). Also, as we like to do different canal routes having different boatyards to choose from is really good. Alvechurch would be our second choice. We went with them one year (2002) as we could get a boat that started on a Monday - the day after the World Cup final!

I'm afraid we had a bad experience with Clifton, though this was back in 2000. As well as the most appallingly uncomfortable bunks the boat needed an unexpectedly early pump out. We were on a 2 week cruise so were expecting to have to call at a yard for a pump out at the half way point but we needed one after 4 days! We then had to get another pump out in the second week, and the bloke muttered about how badly the previous pump out had been done!

Zoë

Hi Zoe,

It is many years since I hired but my present boat is a direct copy of the Black Prince Countess 62' and I have had no problems with comfort etc. so I know what their standards are.

Enjoy your holiday.

Colin

For those on a budget, you could try Chas Hardern boats near Tarporley in Cheshire.

These are basic but comfortable boats and ideally placed for Llangollen, Chester, Ellesmere Port and so on.

Chas' Website

You will also find the boats are named after Tolkein characters - although not all from the Lord of the Rings!

There is a small outfit too based in Market Drayton for those less bothered about cash.

They offer two traditional narrowboats - Thomas and Brunel - each with a Lister JP to keep you company.

There is nothing painted on the side to suggest these are hire boats so you can masquerade!

Are Middlewich Boats still going?

Their boats used to be really ropey looking but cheaper than most I guess if you didn't mind not having the latest boats (by at least 20 years!).

Simolda at Nantwich are now "Empress" I understand - new owners, new livery, same boats though!

Yes Middlewich Narrowboats are still going, though with new owners and several new boats. They have recently changed to all diesel including the cookers and heating, so no gas on board. I don't know the cost of hiring them now, but I don't think it will be cheap anymore since the new owners are a conglomerate from down South. Even the cost of hiring the drydock and bottom blacking has escalated.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'd recommend Claymoore Navigation... but then I would, my Dad is the owner !!! Actually if i can take my biased hat off for a moment they are a very friendly bunch and they try and give extra tuition to first timers (going with them through the tunnel, showing them who to operate the stop lock and generally going quite a way with them before hoping off to make sure they are fine). I help out there now and again. My last time was spent as a free taxi service to Manchester airport twice and numerous trips to take people to Morrisons (ah the glamour) :-)

I went with Anglo Welsh in the summer and whilst the boat was nice their customer service was awful. I must be unlucky with AW I reckon as people say they are quite good.

Unfortunately this year I shan't be on the cut but should anyone be passing Preston Brook over Easter give me a wave as I'll be there.

Great forum by the way.

• 4 months later...
hi,im a brand new member and was hoping someone could tell me if they have ever used club line cruisers of coventry.ive booked a 4 day holiday with them in september to do the asby.

22544[/snapback]

Give us a toot if I'm around when you pass me at Trinity marina - you'll see my boat, I'm on the end of a pontoon nearesr the canal!