Help me plan my trip

joe1978

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I've been loitering for a few weeks now and I'm taken aback how friendly folk seem to be on here.

I'm wanting to organise a 7 day holiday for 3 couples (and dogs) on a narrowboat. I've been on one previous trip in my youth with the scouts but I can't recall the route we took and I've been wanting to do it again for years!

I've been looking at the canalplanner utility which is ace, and been looking through various boat yard websites as reccomended by the users of this forum but I'm no further forward what to do so here I am...

I'd ideally like to do a nice cruising ring (not compulsory), mostly rural with plenty of "refreshment options" on route. We're all in our late 20's/early 30's ( :unsure: )and pretty fit, and there are 6 of us so plenty of locks won't be a problem and since we've all got dogs early rises and longish days won't be a problem either. So can anybody suggest a good holiday route for first timers who want a bit of exercise and want to put a bit of effort in to see a bit of countryside, have a few beers and hopefully catch the "bug" that people on here have.

Ta loads

Joe

Hi Joe and Welcome!

You do realise you are at the top of a very slippery slope, once you get the canals in your blood there is no cure and no way back :unsure:

What about trying the Four Counties Ring:-

Old canals T&M, Staffs & Worcs and new - Shroppie

Harecastle Tunnel, beautiful country side, some short urban stretches,

Audlem and Heartbreak hill for locks.

Chance if you have the time to slip up and look at the Anderton lift.

Good mixture with plenty to see on the way

And pubs Oh yes! - no shortage there

5th

Hi Joe and welcome.

I think probably the first thing you need to find out is if the hire company will allow dogs, some charge.

That may decide your starting point.

5th Horseman's idea of the four counties is possible in a week but it means travelling about 10 hours a day.

Not impossible but will reduce the drinking time, unless you do it on board. :unsure:

I expect you will be going in the summer months, so there will not be a problem with daylight. (most hire companies do not insure their boats for travel in the dark).

I am sure you will have a great time.

Thanks so far everyone.

Yep we're probably going for a week at the end July/start of August so plenty of daylight time!!

*Most* of the companies allow dogs and the charge doesn't bother us, it's still a lot cheaper than kennels for a week!!! :unsure:

I'll have a look at the 5th horseman's route, and thanks bottel for your info too. Thaks for the link to chris!!

I'm a sponge waiting to take on everyones advice.

joe

The Warwick Ring is another very popular one-week trip for enthusiastic first-timers. There's plenty of opportunity for eating and drinking (and lots else, if you stop in the centre of Birmingham) and there are quite a few possible diversions you can make if you've got spare time

Allan

The Warwick Ring is another very popular one-week trip for enthusiastic first-timers. There's plenty of opportunity for eating and drinking (and lots else, if you stop in the centre of Birmingham) and there are quite a few possible diversions you can make if you've got spare time

Allan

Daft qn but is that the same as the warwickshire ring? English counties are my worst general knowledge topic!!

joe

Joe,

It might be worth you investing in one or more guides if you have not already done so. (Makes a good item for a birthday present list)

Try Amazon.co.uk

and enter "nicholson guide to" in the search box of the books section.

You will get a detailed map about 3/5 miles per page and a write up on the countryside you will pass through and most important of all where the boatyards/shops/water points/pubs etc. are.

There are other guides, these happen to be my preference.

5th

Further to 5thHorseman, a couple of books form GEOprojects which I have found really useful and interesting:

1. Britain's Waterways: A Unique Insight - A general atlas of Britains'canal. See Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britains-Waterways...765&sr=1-30

2. Britain's Waterways - Cruising Rings & Other Things - Showing the various canal cruising rings. See Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britains-Waterways...748&sr=1-19

We have a week Canal Timeshare on the Llangollen Canal coming up in May. However the dream for the two of us is to do the Four Counties Ring. As there are only the two of us we would prefer a two weeks cruise. In your case, with so many able bodies, a week cruise on this ring wouldn't be a problem!! :unsure:

Please keep us informed.

Best wishes

Stewey

Further to 5thHorseman, a couple of books form GEOprojects which I have found really useful and interesting:

1. Britain's Waterways: A Unique Insight - A general atlas of Britains'canal. See Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britains-Waterways...765&sr=1-30

2. Britain's Waterways - Cruising Rings & Other Things - Showing the various canal cruising rings. See Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britains-Waterways...748&sr=1-19

We have a week Canal Timeshare on the Llangollen Canal coming up in May. However the dream for the two of us is to do the Four Counties Ring. As there are only the two of us we would prefer a two weeks cruise. In your case, with so many able bodies, a week cruise on this ring wouldn't be a problem!! :)

Please keep us informed.

Best wishes

Stewey

Thanks Stewey, I'll have a look.

Well, talking to the rest of my friends we might be able to squeeze in a 10/11 night break instead of 7 so that opens us up to almost any kind of trip!?!

joe

• 3 weeks later...