Northwich to Doncaster

Mike Fozzy

Featured Posts

Narrow boat 'Gaia' is to travel from Wincham Wharf, Northwich, on the Trent & Mersey to Doncaster, on the Sheffield & S Yorkshire. Start of trip 1st February, 2008.

Can anyone recommend moorings on the route. Suggest where there are laundrettes. Suggest places where one should not moor.

Most important to this topic, what are the current stoppages which dictate the route to take?

Mike

Mike,

This should help.

Waterscape Stoppage linky

Mods - this would probably be better in Holidays rather than Stoppages.

Thank you for the link. However, what that does not do is highlight alternative route to avoid such stoppage; hence posting on this particular forum.

The journey is necessary due to unwillingness to take boat by road and the administration of my job being in Doncaster. However my work is such that to use 'Gaia' as base is quite suitable until I reach the destination. Also the time taken is immaterial.

I am hoping to draw on the experience of other boaters to make this journey.

Thank you for the link. However, what that does not do is highlight alternative route to avoid such stoppage; hence posting on this particular forum.

The journey is necessary due to unwillingness to take boat by road and the administration of my job being in Doncaster. However my work is such that to use 'Gaia' as base is quite suitable until I reach the destination. Also the time taken is immaterial.

I am hoping to draw on the experience of other boaters to make this journey.

You will be missing out an important ingredient of canal boating - planning your route - if you rely on others to do it for you. Why not either use canal planning software or a canal map to plan your route then use the stoppage list to find out which way will be open when you want to do the trip? :)

Haggis

You will be missing out an important ingredient of canal boating - planning your route - if you rely on others to do it for you. Why not either use canal planning software or a canal map to plan your route then use the stoppage list to find out which way will be open when you want to do the trip? :)

Haggis

I quite like missing out on the 'exciting' part of maintenance because I'm cr*p at it and accept it isn't my forte so I don't see why Mike can't ask.

I'll be moving a boat in early March and to be honest we found this to be the earliest time due to Barton Swing being closed til mid-March, Standedge being closed til March and locks 37 to 48 on the Rochdale from Jan to early March.

That only leaves the route via the Trent which I think is stoppage free.