Turning in a pound - Marsworth 38-37

Chris J W

Featured Posts

At Marsworth at the moment and still considering going down to Aylesbury (despite hearing the horror stories about ropes being cut, thefts from roofs, and hostile welcomes from the natives in the basin) but currently pointing the wrong way after 'overshooting' the junction. (The Nicholsons Guide puts the elsan point in the wrong place!) and as I'm crap at reversing I need to turn round.

Now, I don't fancy going all the way to Slapton Wharf where the next indicated point is, but after having a walk down to Marsworth Locks 38-37 I was wondering ... could I turn a 57ft boat in the pound? It looks wide enough, but the locals think it could be too shallow at the edges.

Any thoughts or experiences?

"At Marsworth at the moment and still considering going down to Aylesbury (despite hearing the horror stories about ropes being cut, thefts from roofs, and hostile welcomes from the natives in the basin) but currently pointing the wrong way after 'overshooting' the junction. "

What horror stories? I went down to Aylesbury a couple of years ago and found it to be superb. Natives were very friendly indeed, facilities good, almost in the midlle of town and Aylesbury arm very pretty. I know the pub at the basin is being demolished, but surely it can't have changed that much.

Edited by Derek Porteous

What horror stories? I went down to Aylesbury a couple of years ago and found it to be superb. Natives were very friendly indeed, facilities good, almost in the midlle of town and Aylesbury arm very pretty. I know the pub at the basin is being demolished, but surely it can't have changed that much.

Asking the regular boaters at The Cow Roast about the arm and all I got was "Don't" - several tales of having ropes, and even chains, severed and being cast adrift. Two stories of having the entire roof content (coal, wood, poles etc) nicked. People banging on the sides of the boat, or putting bricks through windows, as they walk up after the pub. Also a handful of "if you've not got a vintage engine and/or shiny boat" type comments then the residents down there would tell you to leave despite it being a BW 14 day area - even to the point of slapping "Overstay" notices on.

Or, to put it another way, not a single "Good" comment.

They did, however, agree that the run down was rather nice, but being on my own there's no way I could make it there and back in a day.

Hi Chris,

All I can say is that is not my experience. The basin where the boat club is is secure, although there are BW moorings just outside. Perhaps if you asked the "welcoming boat" which is always on hand for a berth in the boat club basin, that will allay any worries you may. Have a great trip.

Derek

Hi Chris,

All I can say is that is not my experience. The basin where the boat club is is secure, although there are BW moorings just outside. Perhaps if you asked the "welcoming boat" which is always on hand for a berth in the boat club basin, that will allay any worries you may. Have a great trip.

Derek

Got to get turned round first! :) But thanks for the vote against the bandit country it's been made out to be to me.

I think the people at Cowroast are telling you porkies. The welcome you'd get at the basin is probably the friendliest you'll get anywhere, they'll always find you somewhere to moor and will make sure you've got eveything you need. If you moor further out of town, up by Tescos for example, you could have problems because the 'locals' have been trying to evict some long-term moorers off the 48 hour moorings for about 3 years now with sometimes angry results, but the basin is a wonderful place to stay for a few days. We go there 2 or 3 times every year, we were last there at the end of October and apart from the pub nothing else has changed at the basin; it hasn't been demolished and the Canal Society are still there in force.

It's a good run down there, you can do it in 4 hours with a crew of 2. Do it, you won't regret it.

I don't know if you can wind 57' between 37 & 38. If it's a bit shallow a good flush of water through 38 might just do it of course. If not I think you may be able to turn just below 37 - and if not there you could certainly turn at Pitstone (half a mile further on) without having to do any more locks or that bl**dy swing bridge.

I think the people at Cowroast are telling you porkies. The welcome you'd get at the basin is probably the friendliest you'll get anywhere, they'll always find you somewhere to moor and will make sure you've got eveything you need. If you moor further out of town, up by Tescos for example, you could have problems because the 'locals' have been trying to evict some long-term moorers off the 48 hour moorings for about 3 years now with sometimes angry results, but the basin is a wonderful place to stay for a few days. We go there 2 or 3 times every year, we were last there at the end of October and apart from the pub nothing else has changed at the basin; it hasn't been demolished and the Canal Society are still there in force.

It's a good run down there, you can do it in 4 hours with a crew of 2. Do it, you won't regret it.

I don't know if you can wind 57' between 37 & 38. If it's a bit shallow a good flush of water through 38 might just do it of course. If not I think you may be able to turn just below 37 - and if not there you could certainly turn at Pitstone (half a mile further on) without having to do any more locks or that bl**dy swing bridge.

Thanks, Allan.

Hmm - four hours with two? So that's about eight hours on my own! :)

I'd wandered up to Pitstone, too, trying to find Cooks Wharf (which I couldn't find! Found Grebe and the Dunstable(?) and Aylesbury Club) but nowhere leapt out at me to turn - if the weather clears up a bit I'll have another wander up there this afternoon and have another look.

Yes - I'd looked at that swingbridge and wondered how the hell I was going to do it ... must remember to do a quick search on here before I head up to Yardley Gobion next month.

Ta!

I'd wandered up to Pitstone, too, trying to find Cooks Wharf (which I couldn't find! Found Grebe and the Dunstable(?) and Aylesbury Club) but nowhere leapt out at me to turn - if the weather clears up a bit I'll have another wander up there this afternoon and have another look.

Go through the bridge at Pitstone, then as the canal bears left swing the bows to your right (towards the slipway). Back off so your stern goes towards the railway bridge, then carry on round and head back the way you came. Easy as long as there's nobody looking and there's no wind!

Going down the arm, most of the locks should already be full for you (they fill by themselves over the top gate) apart from the ones that BW tell you to leave empty because of the leaky walls. You'll need a BW key for some of the last locks. And remember the trick I told you for shutting the gates behind you.

Go through the bridge at Pitstone, then as the canal bears left swing the bows to your right (towards the slipway). Back off so your stern goes towards the railway bridge, then carry on round and head back the way you came. Easy as long as there's nobody looking and there's no wind!

Going down the arm, most of the locks should already be full for you (they fill by themselves over the top gate) apart from the ones that BW tell you to leave empty because of the leaky walls. You'll need a BW key for some of the last locks. And remember the trick I told you for shutting the gates behind you.

Bridge 126? Ok, I'll have a traipse up and have a look. I saw a slipway yesterday, but the one I'm thinking of was further down at the Club moorings.

You'll have to remind me of the trick .... :)

Hi Chris - I would agree with Alan's view of Aylesbury. We've done it 3 times now. Very pleasant countryside on way down, bit scruffy and possibly threatening on outskirts of town, but completely secure moorings inside basin.

If you stop outside in the country, the cut is quite shallow at edges and you will need a gang-plank.

enjoy

David

Hi Chris - I would agree with Alan's view of Aylesbury. We've done it 3 times now. Very pleasant countryside on way down, bit scruffy and possibly threatening on outskirts of town, but completely secure moorings inside basin.

If you stop outside in the country, the cut is quite shallow at edges and you will need a gang-plank.

enjoy

David

'erm - does that mean I should be concerned when I leave her to do the locks?

Hi Chris,

No, I shouldn't think there would be a problem. From memory all the locks are in the country apart from the last one. There were some kids playing nearby when we went through; although curious, they were entirely friendly. Whilst I would not want to moor up overnight, I never had any hint of that certain "foreboding feeling" you get in some areas on the canals.

Derek

Edited by Derek Porteous

Hi Chris,

No, I shouldn't think there would be a problem. From memory all the locks are in the country apart from the last one. There were some kids playing nearby when we went through; although curious, they were entirely friendly. Whilst I would not want to moor up overnight, I never had any hint of that certain "foreboding feeling" you get in some areas on the canals.

Derek

Ta, Derek - but I think I'll for-go the usual "iPod on the back hatch" just incase ...

I need to turn round.

It looks wide enough, but the locals think it could be too shallow at the edges.

Any thoughts or experiences?

The best method is to swing the boat round using ropes from the bank. You shouldn't get stuck then if the canal is too narrow.

Arthur

The best method is to swing the boat round using ropes from the bank. You shouldn't get stuck then if the canal is too narrow.

Arthur

Hmmm ... sounds like a two person job ... bit of a bugger on your own ...

And, whilst I don't doubt the theory, if it was shallow you'ld still get the same problems?

No it's easy provided you can reach the boat from the bank. If it's too shallow for that then it won't work as you won't be able to get back on. Otherwise, untie one end and push it out. Untie the other end and walk it towards the first end using the rope. Normally better to push out the bow so you have better control over your stern gear. Not wise in windy conditions as the wind could jam you across. If you don't get round, just get on board and re-moor using the engine.

Arthur

No it's easy provided you can reach the boat from the bank. If it's too shallow for that then it won't work as you won't be able to get back on. Otherwise, untie one end and push it out. Untie the other end and walk it towards the first end using the rope. Normally better to push out the bow so you have better control over your stern gear. Not wise in windy conditions as the wind could jam you across. If you don't get round, just get on board and re-moor using the engine.

Arthur

Ta!

Chris I did the arm last year single handed. It was a doddle. Your boat will do the locks itself if you as it nicely. There are moorings top and bottom of each lock which will make mooring up for locking easy.

Pass !

Never done it single handed.

sorry

I have , several times, biggest drawback is the width of the locks (about 8ft 6ins) which make it difficult to cross the lock by walking over tghe boat roof.

As for Aylesbury Basin, I have left my boat there several times and they are really welcoming, they stack the boats up on the mooring, but if you let them know when you plan to leave, your boat will be on the outside, ready for an easy depature. And the moorings are free.

Chris

Let's take one thing at a time!

First, you can turn a 57ft boat between locks 37 and 38 (you can get 70ft round there as well, with about an inch to spare). Turn clockwise. 70ft boats need to turn as close to the bottom of lock 38 as they can, anything else can go round anywhere in the pound, but unless you're boat is short, turn clockwise. If the level's low keep to the towpath side when you're passing through as the other side is well silted up. However, with this rain, that shouldn't be a problem.

For your information, you can turn 62ft immediately above lock 41 on the flight although its a bit tight and there's only one point that you can do that. 56ft will go round above lock 42. 45ft will turn above lock 40 and on the bend between locks 39 and 40 as well as just below 39 (outside the White Lion), You can also turn 45ft about 50 yards south of bridge 130 - The Red Lion. There's what looks like a (short) winding hole immediately north of bridge 130. Never seen anyone use it and the non towpath side is very shallow. You can turn 55ft immediately below lock 37 if you get your nose in between the two trees on the non towpath side.

You can also turn 70ft in the stream below lock 35, 55ft (just) between locks 32 and 33 and also about 150 yards south of lock 31 if there's no one moored in the way.

You found the Dunstable & District Boat Club - smart new club room, looks a bit like Tesco (but don't say that to them!). Cook's Wharf is just beyond, after the few houses, and immediately before the next bend on the non towpath side.

For your info, the tap at Slapton is on the towpath side, almost on the lock mooring, immediately north of the road bridge. The tap at Leighton Buzzard is (I think) just south of bridge 114 (as is the sanitary station), again on the towpath side and moorings for Tesco are the other side of the same bridge.

The Duke of Wellington, near bridge 136 serves real ale and does food between 7 and 9pm - quiz night on Thursday.

The next pub is the Grove - a plastic pub (I believe) - but there's also a pub in Slapton which is a bit of a walk from the cut. Leighton Buzzard once had 53 pubs (a few years back) but quite a few have long since gone.

As far as the Aylesbury Arm is concerned, like Alan, we went down there late last year - the first time for about 10 years. There's some mooring space between bridge 4 and lock 9 from where its a short walk to the local pub - I think there are two pubs there. As Alan said, the first few locks will almost certainly be for you with water wiering over the top gates. Take your time with the first two locks, they're a staircase, a novelty if its your first one. If you fancy the exercise, you could almost tie your boat up below one lock, close that lock, walk down and set the next one and then walk back to your boat. Good for exercise and saves having to keep pulling in on either side of every lock.

Later on you'll find that all the locks allegedly have leaking lock walls so boaters are asked to leave the lock empty with a paddle up and a bottom gate open. The last few - but not the last - will also need a BWB key to unlock the paddle gear, a bit like some of the locks around Berkhamsted.

Although I've no knowledge - good or bad - of problems down the arm, there's not a lot of places to tie up tight against the tow path. Certainly, once you've left lock 13, I'd keep going all the way to the basin, unless you want to stop during the day for Tesco. We never had any problem in the basin and, at this time of year there should be room. There certainly is a welcome boat and we were made welcome during our very brief stay. There's two water points but I'm told the one nearest the basin isn't working. there's quite a few residental boats around the basin, but they're all off the towpath.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Edited by Ray

Hi Chris

I agree with Ray. Callisto at 71' 6" can turn between locks 37 and 38 provided the pound is full. It certainly is at the moment! Anyway you should have no problem turning there.

As for the Aylesbury arm, go and see for yourself, don't be put off by what you have told. I have never experienced such problems and you will be warmly welcomed in the Basin.

Edited by Endeavour

I should have added that you turn clockwise coming from lock 38 and turn the other way coming from lock 37.

56ft boats can turn at Tring station, about 100 yards south of bridge 135. Its supposed to be a (full length?) winding hole but I doubt you'd get more than about 58ft round there unless the bow was almost out of the water.

Its also possible to turn 56ft at the northern end of the buildings which are a few hundred yards north of bridge 136

You can also turn a 57ft boat just north of lock 53 (at Berkhamsted). Did that last October, when they broke lock 56.

Must be loads of people out there with local knowledge such as where you can turn shorter boats. Wonder if there's anyway we could get something set up on the forum to store all this information in some kind of sorted manner for quick and easy reference.