Boating on benefits

CampinGazz

Featured Posts

Let's not be too harsh on the less tolerant comments. Don't forget that there are plenty of newspapers and politicians claiming that disabled is just another word for work shy.

There are plenty of people who claim to have seen Elvis recently, too, but it doesn't necessarily make it true :)

"Boating on benefits" does set some people's hackles rising.

But why??

I was on incap benefit for quite a while until some random doctor from the DWP (who knew nothing about me or my very real and on going problems) decided that I was fit for work. Now I'm in a position where every job application I fill in wants to know about my medical history and, because I'm honest, they never even bother replying let alone give me an interview. Even if I was to lie about my health on these application forms, many employers decide that if you've been out of work for a long time then there must be something wrong with you and simply will not offer you a job. Even the bloke at the job centre said I was pretty much unemployable. :unsure:

I'm now having to sell my house before it gets repossessed and the only way I can carry on owning my own home is to buy a boat to live on. If I have to claim benefits while living on my boat then why shouldn't I? I've worked for most of my life and don't see why I shouldn't be able to claim back some of the money I've paid in taxes over the years.

Not all people on benefits are lazy scroungers!

Firstly I must agree that Camingazz seems to have reached the inevitable decision that this plan isn't likely to work, though not through problems with the benefits system but because of limited mobility affecting how safe he can be whilst boating.

I guess the forum did help answer his problem - even if it did shatter his dream.

The benefits system generally is a mess and it seems to me that it often fails the people who need it but looks after some others far better than it ought.I am sure that we can all think of examples of both.

I have a friend who lost an arm in an industrial accident and received, not surprisingly, substantial compensation. He has been able to get back into the workplace - albeit by making a big career change but will be the first to tell you that he'd swap the money for his arm back any day.

I simply don't know enough about Campingazz's situation to make judgement but I do feel sorry for anyone who loses their dream.

As usual, a guy asked a straightforward question , .... in this case , whether it was possible to claim benefits whilst c'c ing and apart from a few people that tried to answer his question the rest of the pages this thread have taken up are just concerned withopinions of his entitlement to do it along with questions and asumptions as to his health.

Is it at all possible that for once people could just answer the question asked instead of turning it into a petty schoolyard points scoring exercise?

Don't bother to answer, unfortunately i have spent enough time on this forum to know it isnt.

Would be such an helpful and informative place if it were.

Rick

Is it at all possible that for once people could just answer the question asked instead of turning it into a petty schoolyard points scoring exercise?

Rick

That would make it a question and answer forum, not a discussion forum. I would no longer contribute to such a website.

That would make it a question and answer forum, not a discussion forum. I would no longer contribute to such a website.

Well thats fair comment if the discussion is directed at answering the question, i.e. in this case relating any experience anyone has of claiming benefits personally or knowledge of benefits a friend may be claiming or of course have any professional knowledge on the subject, rather than a discussion of someones entitlement or medical condition.

Rick

Well thats fair comment if the discussion is directed at answering the question, i.e. in this case relating any experience anyone has of claiming benefits personally or knowledge of benefits a friend may be claiming or of course have any professional knowledge on the subject, rather than a discussion of someones entitlement or medical condition.

Rick

That would make it a professional discussion forum (with protected areas and restrictions on who may post) which, in my experience, would have exactly the same level of disagreement and off-topic comment.

It's a public, open forum where anyone can express an opinion, often leading the thread way off-topic....Just as you've demonstrated :unsure:

That would make it a professional discussion forum (with protected areas and restrictions on who may post) which, in my experience, would have exactly the same level of disagreement and off-topic comment.

It's a public, open forum where anyone can express an opinion, often leading the thread way off-topic....Just as you've demonstrated :wub:

oops! sorry i forgot my flag! :unsure:

Rick ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CG, I don't know anything about benefits but I can tell you that living on the canal takes a surprising amount of physical effort apart from the obvious of working locks etc.

I've recently had bronchitis and only gradually getting my strength back, and currently without a gearbox so we're stranded about 100 yards and a flight of steep steps from the nearest road access. Swapping the gas bottle is a half-hour job, bringing water or diesel up from the road likewise, and I can only manage 10 litres at a time. And we have to be careful not to let the porta potty get too full! Getting a bag of coal off the roof and pouring some into the scuttle has to be done in a couple of goes with rests. If we were in a busier area there would be more assistance around, and luckily Gosty Hill delivered some diesel the other day, and will be dropping off 50 litres of water for me today. :P

There are also times when you need fairly large chunks of cash for stuff like breakdowns. :wub:

Anyway, I hope your trial cruise goes well, and good luck.

Firstly I must agree that Camingazz seems to have reached the inevitable decision that this plan isn't likely to work, though not through problems with the benefits system but because of limited mobility affecting how safe he can be whilst boating.

I guess the forum did help answer his problem - even if it did shatter his dream.

The benefits system generally is a mess and it seems to me that it often fails the people who need it but looks after some others far better than it ought.I am sure that we can all think of examples of both.

I have a friend who lost an arm in an industrial accident and received, not surprisingly, substantial compensation. He has been able to get back into the workplace - albeit by making a big career change but will be the first to tell you that he'd swap the money for his arm back any day.

I simply don't know enough about Campingazz's situation to make judgement but I do feel sorry for anyone who loses their dream.

Only just revisited this thread and caught up with this very interesting discussion. Pagan Witch has a very balanced and caring position on the issue we were all asked by Camping Gaz for our assistance. It has been an interesting thread on this list with some very diverse opinions. The only things we all agreed on was that boating is possibly more physical than Camping Gaz's current condition can cope with and is sadly not a long term option for the future due to physical limitations and possibly financial ones if the authorities don't play ball. Nothing else to add really except sorry mate your dream of boating can't be realised and hope others find some the the stuff discussed in this thread useful.

D