sani stations, water points etc...

goldtone

Featured Posts

Is there such a thing as a list of sanitation station, water points, fuelling points along the cut? I am due to make my first journey (5 days down the GU) in a few weeks and just wondered about this. Do I need to worry about it at all I wonder? It's just the thought of the cassette filling up that worries me. Four of us on board for 5 days!!

Is there such a thing as a list of sanitation station, water points, fuelling points along the cut? I am due to make my first journey (5 days down the GU) in a few weeks and just wondered about this. Do I need to worry about it at all I wonder? It's just the thought of the cassette filling up that worries me. Four of us on board for 5 days!!

They are adequately identified in Nicholson's Guides - a useful tool for planning your trip.

The guides can be obtained from most chandleries and boatyards or from Amazon

You can usually get this information from either a waterways publication like the Nicholson's or if you have internet access on the move, you can get it from the Waterscape website.

The best thing is to do your homework before you leave.

A good skipper always makes a voyage plan ...

:o

Contact the areas BW office.

I know that the Brum officer certainly gives out a couple of pages which have all the facilities listed (by canal) for the area that the office covers...

Very useful.

Sam

Stratford Canal, by Wootten Wawen to Leighton Buzzard. I figure there will be plenty of services as I go through Braunston, Horton, Cosgrove. But I'll get a Nicholson book just in case.

Still worth contacting BW.

Quite often we have planned our last drop of water to be used by waterpoint X...

Which just so happens to be out of action due to construction works or something equally fun...

So they will be able to tell you about stuff like that

Don't forget to check stoppages, too.

For instance the bridge works in Milton Keynes 07/01 - 07/03, Bridges 76A - 77 and edited to say that I've just discovered they are cancelled! Whoohoo!

But, still, check the uptodate stopage list on www.waterscape.com

[edit to correct as noted above]

Edited by Chris J W

Goldtone

Get a spare cassette then you don't need to worry as much.

Steve

over 50 quid for a cassete , about a tenner if that for a sealable bucket.

i got 4 empty ink containers from a printers skip , they hold a full cassette of waste and as they are watertight "smell tight" and this took all the worry about the next elsan away.

met two boats on a six week cruise that had reached the point of no return with their cassette,s full and passed them each a container , they were well chuffed to out into it and the realised they would not have to pay over 50quid for a spare cassette.

most printers have ink stock delivered in large resealable buckets.