copper olives

Featured Posts

we have been experiencing difficulty in buying copper olives for plumbing the boat everyone had brass ones but not copper. One kind plumbers supplier took the olives out of fittings for us. why is it so important?

we have been experiencing difficulty in buying copper olives for plumbing the boat everyone had brass ones but not copper. One kind plumbers supplier took the olives out of fittings for us. why is it so important?

Where did this come from, I have just re read sec 7 (LPG installations) of the red book. I can't find any reference to copper olives.

Please tell us more.

Edited by John Orentas

Yeah, ive never heard this before?

- All the fitting on our engine/boiler use the brass olives that come with the fitting?

- Dont know about the gas.

- And out domestic water is all PVC snapfit pipe.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Where did this come from, I have just re read sec 7 (LPG installations) of the red book. I can't find any reference to copper olives.

Please tell us more.

I will check with the Corgi types back at our yard.

There is also something about not using diluted detergent (washing up liquid) to check for leaks on gas bottle connectors etc. because it can corrode the fittings.

In how long? :)

I think (and this is from memory - Im away from the boat and the books) that the requirement for copper olives (in marine LPG systems) stems from BS 5482 Pt3, brass olives are to hard for the soft copper tubing. If your fittings are comming with brass olives then I would check that they are suitable for use with LPG. I know that some ball cocks suitable for use with LPG are supplied with brass olives, and "best practice" would be to change them for copper.

Paul M

Because it can corrode the fittings.

One thing that i know you shouldnt do is polish exposed pipework, this is because polish gets under the pipe clips and never buffed off, so is left there eating away at the copper untill it leaks.

- I heard this from the corgi man who last presure tested our system. he was late having just spent 3hours at the prevoius boat trying to track down a leak only to find it was coming from a hole in the pipe

:)

Sorry, a little off topic, but it just goes to show!

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

One thing that i know you should do is polish exposed pipework, this is because polish gets under the pipe clips and never buffed off, so is left there eating away at the copper untill it leaks.

- I heard this from the corgi man who last presure tested our system. he was late having just spent 3hours at the prevoius boat trying to track down a leak only to find it was coming from a hole in the pipe

:)

Sorry, a little off topic, but it just goes to show!

Daniel

To quote from BS5482-3

The following materials should be used for installation pipework:

Sec4.1

c) Copper nickel alloy, of a grade suitable for use with LPG and a marine environment,and appropriate compression or screwed fittings.

Sec12.3

Compression fittings should be made with copper olives or ferrules for copper piping,or stainless steel rings on steel piping. Joints should not be soldered.

Copper olives are softer than brass and produce a better seal. Brass can harden in use and crack. The different expansion / contraction rates can lead to pulled and leaking joints.

http://www.calormarineshop.co.uk/installat...nstallation.htm

Gary

Edited by Gary Peacock

<SNIP>

Copper olives are softer than brass and produce a better seal. Brass can harden in use and crack. The different expansion / contraction rates can lead to pulled and leaking joints.

Gary

So why do we use brass on water pipes.

Feet-Up.gif Took this from your webcam is it youBig-Smile.gif

Copper olives for Gas/Fuel supply pipes can be obtained from most good Caravan and Camping Suppliers, that is where I get mine. Alternatively you could try these people.

http://www.calormarineshop.co.uk/acatalog/nuts_olives.html

As far as standard 15mm water pipe is concerned, brass olives will be fine. If in doubt use a bit of boss white, but it shouldnt be necessary. Better still use Hep20 pipe for water domestic water.

Edited by David Schweizer

Tbh, Maffi (and others) I don't really see the need for this pedantic nit-picking of minor typos and spelling mistakes in other members posts, its just a boring waste of a post that only waters down the threads.

- Please stop it.

Daniel

Makes no sense Dan'l
Edited by dhutch

Tbh, Maffi (and others)  I don't really see the need for this pedantic nit-picking of minor typos and spelling mistakes in other members posts, its just a boring waste of a post that only waters down the threads.

- Please stop it.

Daniel

Hurray someone's finally said it!

I think Maffi was commenting on the strength of you argument rather than your spelling and grammar.

I dont.

He was clearly poking fun at the fast i had miss typed "shouldnt" as "should"

- this i by no means the first time, and its just annoying.

- also you cant say richard wasnt comenting on my spelling of molicules

And it is also clear from Steves comment that i am not the only one who has noticed this. Thankyou Steve!

Daniel