Living aboard - what's your top benefit

Capey

Featured Posts

absolutely, i wouldnt matter what boat it was. the thing is, I hate cc'ing and working in a fixed place. i dont hate cc'ing and dont hate working, but they simply dont go together in the way i do it. especially since where i work is far far far away from a canal or river. I plan to change that, soon to start work in london. I also plan to change the boat from narrowboat to seagoing boat as soon as possible and moor up in a marina with facilities then use my boat for holidays and weekends out and about. with a sea going boat I can go much further and have far more fun in a weekend than i can on the canals. I dont hate canals, i just think so many people take up narrowboating because theres so many of them about, this led me to think " surely narrowboats must be alright because so many people have them" but more and more I see discontented people, frustrated people and I see myself frustrated with narrowboat life. Most people seem too shy to come forward and say, " you know what, I have (or had) a narrowboat but in fact they aren't terribly practical or fun to use or live on are they?" no, most people just disappear back to land living quietly and say nothing. Ive got a bit of a gob and I dont mind telling people exactly how Ive found it. and when i speak to people who plan to do the same as me cc and work in a fixed place, I tell them exactly what ive experienced.

I dont think this forum has any rules against speaking about negative experiences, it doesnt matter if there are a lot of people who like narrowboats on here, its not exclusive as you mention going on a triumph forum to slag them off. its not the same thing.

i think if anything, hopefully more people will learn from an honest point of view and see that all dreams dont come true as we first imagine them, plus not to be embarrassed at making a mistake and trying to change it and do something different. I made a mistake of believing that I could enjoy narrowboating. now Im going to go back to what I know (coastal and estuary) and try that again to see if its as good as I remember it to be.

absolutely, i wouldnt matter what boat it was. the thing is, I hate cc'ing and working in a fixed place. i dont hate cc'ing and dont hate working, but they simply dont go together in the way i do it. especially since where i work is far far far away from a canal or river. I plan to change that, soon to start work in london. I also plan to change the boat from narrowboat to seagoing boat as soon as possible and moor up in a marina with facilities then use my boat for holidays and weekends out and about. with a sea going boat I can go much further and have far more fun in a weekend than i can on the canals. I dont hate canals, i just think so many people take up narrowboating because theres so many of them about, this led me to think " surely narrowboats must be alright because so many people have them" but more and more I see discontented people, frustrated people and I see myself frustrated with narrowboat life. Most people seem too shy to come forward and say, " you know what, I have (or had) a narrowboat but in fact they aren't terribly practical or fun to use or live on are they?" no, most people just disappear back to land living quietly and say nothing. Ive got a bit of a gob and I dont mind telling people exactly how Ive found it. and when i speak to people who plan to do the same as me cc and work in a fixed place, I tell them exactly what ive experienced.

I dont think this forum has any rules against speaking about negative experiences, it doesnt matter if there are a lot of people who like narrowboats on here, its not exclusive as you mention going on a triumph forum to slag them off. its not the same thing.

i think if anything, hopefully more people will learn from an honest point of view and see that all dreams dont come true as we first imagine them, plus not to be embarrassed at making a mistake and trying to change it and do something different. I made a mistake of believing that I could enjoy narrowboating. now Im going to go back to what I know (coastal and estuary) and try that again to see if its as good as I remember it to be.

Yes, I suppose you're right, the forum shouldn't be restricted to those who have positive experiences, and if narrowboats aren't for you and you have some different experiences to share then why shouldn't you. I must admit, the ditches can be a bit dismal in places and I'm really not into the traditionalist view of things on the canal, but each to their own. I much prefer going onto the Thames with its broad reaches, fantastic views and variety of craft, but there the gin palace crowd look down on steel canal boats so you can't win.

I think that narrowboats actually offer more living space than many other kinds of boats, but no boat is particularly practical to live on - for pure practicality you're probably better off on land. I enjoy living on my widebeam - it's a lot of work but there are few places I'd rather be.

Anyway, I hope things go better for you on your next boat.

• 2 months later...
Our was!Making sure that when the grown-up kids want to come to visit (fleece the parents), we could be conveniently 'up river', 'down river', 'not really at a suitable mooring at the moment', 'sorry haven't got of good mobile signal', perhaps catch up with you when we get back'. Or was it because we just wanted to step back a little from the rat race, who knows! All I care about at the moment is I love my boat, I love my husband and I really love my life again.Can't put my finger on anything specific - its just great! :rolleyes:
Ha Ha we loved your post! exactly what Debby and I say to our money mad daughter...usually we use "just going into a lock, call you later" it works hey..glad to hear you are so happy.regards,Mark and Debby. N B Beau.

I wou'dnt have cc'ing and working (unless its from home) would go hand in hand anyway. Maybe you need one of posh metro widebeam residential boats that you can buy these days and then whe your're on holiday you can just cast off?

Isn't the whole idea of cc'ing to flunk out of the rat race - at least thats the way we see it. Personally I can't wait, Once our youngest has got her uni days over and does'nt need a base to come home to thats us done with being land lubbers for a few years anyway.

I know as soon as we cast off I change from this rushing around banshee to a calm and collected, don't need to hurry person. Surely from a health perspective thats gotta be better.

A friend of mine (who used to liveaboard) calls it 'The Toil'. I guess our situation is very different to yours. We have the mooring and we don't have to commute. Boating can be endlessly complicated, I agree, first month of living aboard was hellish, nothing seemed to work and everything was complex. It's like learning to play a difficult instrument. Not like a house where you have nothing to fathom out, it all just works.Anyway. My number one benefit. London was utterly doing my head in. But I still live in London, 10 minutes from the tube station, but I cannot see a single house from my home, just an uniterrupted expanse of sky and nature. I am surrounded by wildlife (last year alone we saw snakes, water vole, pheasants, rabbits, kingfishers, little grebes, herons) and I am no longer woken in the morning by traffic jams or Jehovas Witnesses. It's the best thing about the boat, for me.
Ah wow Lady Much, its sounds perfect, we are up near Marple in XCheshire, in the middle of an industrial estate and see only trees, birds like you, even a mink, swans etc. Incredible to think you can have that in the middle of London !!!
I wou'dnt have cc'ing and working (unless its from home) would go hand in hand anyway. Maybe you need one of posh metro widebeam residential boats that you can buy these days and then whe your're on holiday you can just cast off?Isn't the whole idea of cc'ing to flunk out of the rat race - at least thats the way we see it. Personally I can't wait, Once our youngest has got her uni days over and does'nt need a base to come home to thats us done with being land lubbers for a few years anyway.I know as soon as we cast off I change from this rushing around banshee to a calm and collected, don't need to hurry person. Surely from a health perspective thats gotta be better.
I have to agree with you, I am in the same boat - oh ha ha - my two kids will graduate over the next 3 years and then, frankly they wont see me for the wake, just living on a mooring, working day and night to pay their education, but once that is done, I am casting them adrift to support me and I am off - I just cant wait. So far hav lived aboard for 18 months but not expperienced CC'ing obviulsy as we both work, but cant wait to give it a try.

I thought 'tother half was having a mid life crisis, when he suggested we went afloat! :lol:

[i had been a widow for near on 9 years when i met my partner] I had put the house up for sale in the july06 and mid november06 accepted an offer and on dec 4th 06 handed the keys over...The money was in the bank!!! after paying the balance to my husband's debts-as not all debts die with you!!!! :)

My now partner of 4.11 years, and I looked at a new way of life- [fresh start some call it.] :wub: Buy a run down place, and live in a caravan and do the work ourselves..... buy land and do a self build......... but looking to do something for ourselves semi rat race kind of stuff.! Semi-retire kinda life, more to the point.. :D

Then the idea of living afloat!!!!!!!! :D

We found a boat during the time of oct-dec 06, paid for her and moved onboard 16th dec 06, took 2 days to move her by canal system, to what would have taken 25mins in the car!!! had moorings in a marina for winter so as we could get sorted, boxes too-ing and fro-ing, from storage at our parents.

Kids thought we were mad and questions of their inheritance was in the air.... it wasnt even a passing thought to us. :)

Both 'tother half and I had travelled all over the country on a weekly basis with our jobs, 'tother half hgv driver-long distance, and I was a team leader for a merchandise company, and now we had something that was 'Ours'. That we could make a home, no more living on the road, living in bed & breakfast's and working 12hr shifts

we are in march issue of Towpath talk pg 46 'shop afloat'. :boat:

Life afloat...fantastic, we keep with-in the B.W guide lines to CC's and enjoy life greatly in the slow lane. we have since returned to a marina for two days and were kept in an extra 3 days due to storms., but we couldn't wait to get out, so much like an institution, open your curtains and 1 foot away is your neighbour, on both sides of you too!!

Well we are off the radar, and out of the rat race, just couldn't no way, go back into bricks and mortar, if I do / when I do, i hope i've lost my marbles and the will to live, because it wont be long after that till I'm dead.

I worried a little as to becoming a bird twitcher and even naturisum came to mind. [but only in the pitch black when the dog wont come in after her mid night wee.] and when we are out in the wilds, but the cow print wellies are not part of the naturist's attire..... are they?

we dont like built up areas anymore and as to noise of traffic.... I'll put up with the mating calls of the phesant and things that get snatched out of trees and bushes and are murdered in the dead of night ..... ha ha ha.

This life afloat. :hug:

Love it, wouldn't swop it, cant compare to anything Ive experianced before.

love the friendliness of other boaters, even the toffs i find amusing!

love being our lockie, and swopping ideas and tales of the cut....

Sorry if i rambled on :wub: but Im happy and content for once in my life.

I thought 'tother half was having a mid life crisis, when he suggested we went afloat! :lol:

[i had been a widow for near on 9 years when i met my partner] I had put the house up for sale in the july06 and mid november06 accepted an offer and on dec 4th 06 handed the keys over...The money was in the bank!!! after paying the balance to my husband's debts-as not all debts die with you!!!! :)

My now partner of 4.11 years, and I looked at a new way of life- [fresh start some call it.] :) Buy a run down place, and live in a caravan and do the work ourselves..... buy land and do a self build......... but looking to do something for ourselves semi rat race kind of stuff.! Semi-retire kinda life, more to the point.. :D

We found a boat during the time of oct-dec 06, paid for her and moved onboard 16th dec 06, took 2 days to move her by canal system, to what would have taken 25mins in the car!!! had moorings in a marina for winter so as we could get sorted, boxes too-ing and fro-ing, from storage at our parents.

Kids thought we were mad and questions of their inheritance was in the air.... it wasnt even a passing thought to us. :)

Both 'tother half and I had travelled all over the country on a weekly basis with our jobs, 'tother half hgv driver-long distance, and I was a team leader for a merchandise company, and now we had something that was 'Ours'. That we could make a home, no more living on the road, living in bed & breakfast's and working 12hr shifts

Life afloat...fantastic, we keep with-in the B.W guide lines to CC's and enjoy life greatly in the slow lane. we have since returned to a marina for two days and were kept in an extra 3 days due to storms., but we couldn't wait to get out, so much like an institution, open your curtains and 1 foot away is your neighbour, on both sides of you too!!

Well we are off the radar, and out of the rat race, just couldn't no way, go back into bricks and mortar, if I do / when I do, i hope i've lost my marbles and the will to live, because it wont be long after that till I'm dead.

I worried a little as to becoming a bird twitcher and even naturisum came to mind. [but only in the pitch black when the dog wont come in after her mid night wee.] and when we are out in the wilds, but the cow print wellies are not part of the naturist's attire..... are they?

we dont like built up areas anymore and as to noise of traffic.... I'll put up with the mating calls of the phesant and things that get snatched out of trees and bushes and are murdered in the dead of night ..... ha ha ha.

Reading this just wants us to get CCing straight away. What you've written is just how I imagine it to be, although we did spend a whole month on the water 2 years ago cruising, and even with the boat hardly with a basic line out finished and double mattress on the floor in a wide open 45f/t X 10 f/t room as no walls were yet up, it was still sheer bliss :wub:

What I liked was mooring where no other boats were, no neighbours no noise and pitch black at night. I slept so well that month, never slept as good since. When the boat's finished and all the necessities in place it's just going to get better I feel.

My now partner of 4.11 years, and I looked at a new way of life- [fresh start some call it.] :wub: Buy a run down place, and live in a caravan and do the work ourselves..... buy land and do a self build......... but looking to do something for ourselves semi rat race kind of stuff.! Semi-retire kinda life, more to the point.. :D

hello and congratulations, we,re seriousley considering life afloat after a near miss 15 years ago now circumstances are different. i was wondering how you have adapted your banking and things like driving licences and insurance addresses. ive seen much talk but nothing satisfactory in the way of a complete cast off, maybe we need to get rid of all ties but a bank account seems so nessacary now to operate, and even i cant see how it all works. am i missing something obvious, regards stuart

hello and congratulations, we,re seriousley considering life afloat after a near miss 15 years ago now circumstances are different. i was wondering how you have adapted your banking and things like driving licences and insurance addresses. ive seen much talk but nothing satisfactory in the way of a complete cast off, maybe we need to get rid of all ties but a bank account seems so nessacary now to operate, and even i cant see how it all works. am i missing something obvious, regards stuart

Internet bank account, never need to be contacted by post if you stay in credit. Try to open a couple at least.

Failing that Post office savings account, plenty of outlets at the moment lol, again 2 separate accounts if you have a partner.

Just leave your last address on your driving licence, same with passport, get a 10 year before you leave your address if you think you'll need to travell.

Boat insurance and other insurances with a family member or friends C/O address.

That's my plan anyway.

I thought 'tother half was having a mid life crisis, when he suggested we went afloat! :D

My now partner of 4.11 years, and I looked at a new way of life- [fresh start some call it.] :) Buy a run down place, and live in a caravan and do the work ourselves..... buy land and do a self build......... but looking to do something for ourselves semi rat race kind of stuff.! Semi-retire kinda life, more to the point.. :)

Then the idea of living afloat!!!!!!!! :)

Kids thought we were mad and questions of their inheritance was in the air.... it wasnt even a passing thought to us. :D

we are in march issue of Towpath talk pg 46 'shop afloat'. :D

This life afloat. :o

Sorry if i rambled on :) but Im happy and content for once in my life.

Nice post Honey Ryder!

You now have me worried. Perhaps I'm a toff and don't know it?

How can I tell?

East

Nice post Honey Ryder!

You now have me worried. Perhaps I'm a toff and don't know it?

How can I tell?

East

i think toffs can swear without it sounding like swearing, they also wear hats and bow ties, they say Ya, instead of yes and enjoyed rugger or polo as a child because it made him or her the person they are today and now consumes lots of gin and tonic at the golf club.

if you can tick more than 3 of those boxes i think it might be fair to say you are a toff.

i think toffs can swear without it sounding like swearing, they also wear hats and bow ties, they say Ya, instead of yes and enjoyed rugger or polo as a child because it made him or her the person they are today and now consumes lots of gin and tonic at the golf club.

if you can tick more than 3 of those boxes i think it might be fair to say you are a toff.

Phew - I think I'm safe.

I do sometimes wear a hat, but not a bow tie.

I like to consume G&T but not at a golf club (dreadful places).

I don't insure my car with Priviledge Insurance.

Pip Pip Old Friut Don't ya know! :D