Four counties ring

Philip

Which way round do you go?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which way round do you go?

• Clockwise
    • Anti-clockwise

Featured Posts

I read somewhere before we did this ring that most hire-boaters go clockwise. Hence our decision to go anti.

Can't actually substantiate this claim though. I can see hire boat companies suggesting a direction away from a lot of locks, so that the hirers have a bit more experience before hitting something like the Cheshire locks, but then that would all depend on where you start.

When we first did the ring we were moored in Lymm and were both working we always went anti-clockwise, but nowadays we have more leisuretime and have time to stop in various places going up the Cheshire locks so in that way we can take thing easy and only cruise around 4/5 hours a day or less and on the way back tend to stop at Market Drayton and then do the Adderley and Audlem locks in one go, always relieved to stop and have a meal in the Bridge, mooring on the offside. It is the one time I don't cook on the boat.

We went anti-clockwise last year, starting off near Bunbury and went straight up, we avoided having to work the Cheshire locks uphill and generally was a nice way to go. In May 97, we set off from Riley Green basin, a few miles further up from Johnsons Hillock locks, Chorley, went down these, down the Wigan flight, off the L&L onto the Bridgewater at Leigh, right down, through Manchester, through Preston Brook etc, and we were leaving the boat at Wrenbury and had a plan to go round nearly the 4 counties ring, so it made sense that time to carry on up the T&M, up the Staffs and Worcestor, down the Shroppie and up to Wrenbury, we had no time to do it anticlockwise and having to venture up the Middlewich Branch again, so that time we went clockwise.

See which way the 'Pearsons' guide direct boaters (ie, they normally show an arrow at junctions indicating which route the ring follows) - then go the other way! I'll bet that most hire traffic will be following the route as shown in the guides, so if you're lucky, you should have most of the locks set ready for you! :closedeyes:

Jon