how to work a lock?

goldtone

Featured Posts

I'm new to this canal lark, but have worked as crew on a motor powered yacht so know how to steer and moor a boat. so only have one question regarding it all.

Locks? The only worry I have is how to use them. I see posts about pulling the fenders up, not hitting the sill, bow to bottom gate, stern to rear gate, rocking the boat, engine at 1/4 idle, not at 1/4 idle, tying the boat in a lock, not tying the boat etc etc. I'm a bit confused by it all!!

I'm getting the boat in a month and our virgin journey will be a 5 day cruise from the Stratford Canal to my mooring on the Grand Union encountering God knows how many locks and a flight. And i don't want to bugger it up basically!

So, how do I work a lock? The guy I got the boat from never had any experience before and he fared fine, so I know it can't be too difficult. But, I'm a born worrier, so any instruction/advice would be much appreciated.

Goldtone

there is no mystery on using locks best advice nip down the cut at tha weekend and watch and ask if your near the stratford theres plenty there to be done perhaps if you talked to boaters and explaned you could help somebody go down and then help somebody back up to were you started

Youll get ten different answers on the forum as to how to do them :):D

Hi Goldtone

As Denis says, there are almost as many answers as there will be folk answering them!! :)

Some sites worth looking at:

1. How Canal Locks Work

http://www.pigpen.org.uk/locks.htm

2. How to work Canal Locks

http://www.canaljunction.com/canal/lock_skills.htm

3. Locks: Uphill and downhill on a boat

http://www.canals.com/locks.htm

If you are feeling really brave try searching the "New to Boating?" and "Boat Handling" forums! :D:D

[search - More Search Options - New to Boating? or Boat Handling]

Locks are great fun to work with but you do need to take care when operating them.

Stewey

Edited by stewey

there is no mystery on using locks best advice nip down the cut at tha weekend and watch and ask if your near the stratford theres plenty there to be done perhaps if you talked to boaters and explaned you could help somebody go down and then help somebody back up to were you started

Youll get ten different answers on the forum as to how to do them :):D

I done just that today. Went down to Soulbury 3 locks and a very friendly couple let me help them go up the locks. They had plenty of good advice and it all seems much clearer to me now.

Thanks guys.

I just love this animation:

http://www.canals.com/lock2way.gif

Be nice if they went that fast - but a bit splashy![

I don't want to be pedantic, not with this being my first post and all, but don't both of the gates on the animation open the 'wrong' way? (Like the top gate should open out of the lock and the bottom gate into it). I understand what it is supposed to show but for a newby it would confuse a bit,no?

It's still a neat animation though!!

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Was at the fullers over the weekend and spent the saterday evening watching a few videos from there collection, old cine footage of working boats and the like. Some very fast locking going on there. Very pleasing to watch. As well as having a gander at some of laurences dvds and old bw promotional materal id not seen before.

Daniel