Greaser Problems

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

This still fails to answer the question of how you got the nut off the pipe with  the olive in place - that should be impossible. Conclusion, wrong nut, an idiot has drilled the centre of the nut out, somehow the centre of the nut has broken away, but no signs of it on the pipe.

Hi Tony, I think this has been answered above. The OP took the photograph to show an 8mm olive in place on the pipe, having trimmed back the end and slid the olive on. This was not compressed on, so before attempting re-fitting the olive could be slid back off again, the nut put in place and the olive re-fitted and compressed. However, having had several attempts at this and failed to get a seal, he is asking for more thoughts before trimming off yet another piece of an ever-shortening length of pipe.

@MrBadger to confirm that the above is the correct interpretation.

Alec

Edited by agg221

47 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Can you post a close-up photograph of the offending bits. What I really want to see is exactly what size everything is relative to one another, ie by just how much the 6mm won't go on, and just how loose the 8mm is. I have an idea what the problem may be, but would rather confirm it from a photo if possible than send you on another wild goose chase.

Alec

My apologies Alec bloody autocorrect. Tyranny.

PXL_20240406_174043634.jpg

Often falls into the nut but can be got out

PXL_20240406_174010357.jpg

41 minutes ago, MtB said:

Where are you? Not Banbury by any chance?!

Stratford upon Avon - heading that way eventually.. hopefully! 

40 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Hi Tony, I think this has been answered above. The OP took the photograph to show an 8mm olive in place on the pipe, having trimmed back the end and slid the olive on. This was not compressed on, so before attempting re-fitting the olive could be slid back off again, the nut put in place and the olive re-fitted and compressed. However, having had several attempts at this and failed to get a seal, he is asking for more thoughts before trimming off yet another piece of an ever-shortening length of pipe.

@MrBadger to confirm that the above is the correct interpretation.

Alec

Yes this is right it's getting silly short I can't fix the greaser in place now but I'm not too worried about that providing I get grease flowing 

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The nut has been dogged to death, how big is the hole in relation to the pipe?

The olive is not on the pipe far enough.

What is that inside the nut? I doesn't look to be just grease.

Use spanners, not dogs on nuts.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The nut has been dogged to death, how big is the hole in relation to the pipe?

The olive is not on the pipe far enough.

The pipe is very small I tried to measure it internal diameter of 4mm but external 6mm though this might not be reliable because I don't really know what I am doing 🤣

To add, the nut is much bigger than the pipe I wonder if the pipe was a tiny bit bigger it might help it stay in the fitting better 

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

For heavens sake, will some boater on here near S-o-A go and sort this guy out?

There is so much conflicting info it is getting impossible to help.

I did have a boat mechanic coming and then he cancelled and hasn't got back to me about coming tomorrow. Short on options down this way sadly. Doesn't seem to be a yard on the South Stratford Canal and getting to Evesham is currently unnavigable! 

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What is that inside the nut? I doesn't look to be just grease.

Use spanners, not dogs on nuts.

Just grease and an olive - I have been using grips due to the small amount of wire making it tricky but noted I will cease and desist I do have spanners 

22 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

I did have a boat mechanic coming and then he cancelled and hasn't got back to me about coming tomorrow. Short on options down this way sadly. Doesn't seem to be a yard on the South Stratford Canal and getting to Evesham is currently unnavigable! 

Just grease and an olive - I have been using grips due to the small amount of wire making it tricky but noted I will cease and desist I do have spanners 

Why is there an olive inside the nut, it should be on the pipe!

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Why is there an olive inside the nut, it should be on the pipe!

It keeps getting sucked into it. That's the 8mm one. The 6mm won't fit at all on the pipe. I have tried crimping the olive on the pipe but then the nut won't screw around it onto the casing 🤷🏾

1 minute ago, MrBadger said:

It keeps getting sucked into it. That's the 8mm one. The 6mm won't fit at all on the pipe. I have tried crimping the olive on the pipe but then the nut won't screw around it onto the casing 🤷🏾

You don't crimp the olive onto the pipe, the fitting does that as you tighten it whilst holding the pipe hard into the greaser.

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You don't crimp the olive onto the pipe, the fitting does that as you tighten it whilst holding the pipe hard into the greaser.

This is my issue, for some reason, that isn't happening 

2 minutes ago, Ken X said:

If you are on the South Stratford Canal Anglo Welsh have a yard at Wootton Wawen. Probably be able to assist if required.

Oh brilliant! The only issue is, do you think we can safely do a day's travel without greasing?

25 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

The 6mm won't fit at all on the pipe.

In which case my bet is your pipe is actually 1/4", which is 6.35mm. A 6mm olive won't go over a 6.35mm pipe.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MrBadger said:

Oh brilliant! The only issue is, do you think we can safely do a day's travel without greasing?

Easily.

I often forget to turn the greaser for days on end with no ill effects. 

Don't tell anyone... 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

In which case my bet is your pipe is actually 1/4", which is 6.35mm. A 6mm olive won't go over a 6.35mm pipe.

And an 8 is too big. Very specific olive! 🫒

Just now, MtB said:

Easily.

I often forget to turn the greaser for days on end with no ill effects. 

Don't tell anyone... 

This is a relief although we have been sat for 6 months and it hasn't been greased might be a bit dry?

Just now, MrBadger said:

And an 8 is too big. Very specific olive! 🫒

Yes, 1.65mm too big. 

(Engineering clearances notwithstanding!) 

But looking at the photo again, I reckon you have a compression fitting on the greaser designed for 5/16" pipe and the pipe you actually have is 1/4", which is why it fell out in the first place. The 1/4" olive would have been able to squeeze through the 5/16" hole in the nut. 

You need someone to actually measure the pipe and the fitting to determine the sizes. Then once known, decide on a sound method of connecting it all up. 

1 hour ago, MrBadger said:

Stratford upon Avon - heading that way eventually.. hopefully! 

I was in Banbury this afternoon and was about to set off down the M40 home when I asked where you are, just on the off chance you were nearby or en-route. 

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes, 1.65mm too big. 

(Engineering clearances notwithstanding!) 

But looking at the photo again, I reckon you have a compression fitting on the greaser designed for 5/16" pipe and the pipe you actually have is 1/4", which is why it fell out in the first place. The 1/4" olive would have been able to squeeze through the 5/16" hole in the nut. 

You need someone to actually measure the pipe and the fitting to determine the sizes. Then once known, decide on a sound method of connecting it all up. 

I was in Banbury this afternoon and was about to set off down the M40 home when I asked where you are, just on the off chance you were nearby or en-route. 

I think this must be right I really have tried everything and done it every which way. The pipe does feel too small but then it was on there some how... the problem is I can't find the origins olive. Thanks for thinking of me on your journey! Appreciate it 

9 minutes ago, MrBadger said:

I think this must be right I really have tried everything and done it every which way. The pipe does feel too small but then it was on there some how... the problem is I can't find the origins olive. Thanks for thinking of me on your journey! Appreciate it 

The correct size pipe will be a lovely accurate and snug fit into the hole in the greaser connection. I reckon some muppet bodged your 1/4" pipe in with possibly a 5/16" olive (the correct size for the fitting) which was never going to crush down enough to grip the 1/4" pipe, which is why it all fell apart and also why the olive came off the pipe. 

Shame you're Stratford. Not that far but completely the opposite direction from my destination! 

26 minutes ago, MtB said:

The correct size pipe will be a lovely accurate and snug fit into the hole in the greaser connection. I reckon some muppet bodged your 1/4" pipe in with possibly a 5/16" olive (the correct size for the fitting) which was never going to crush down enough to grip the 1/4" pipe, which is why it all fell apart and also why the olive came off the pipe. 

Shame you're Stratford. Not that far but completely the opposite direction from my destination! 

I think you are right here! Thanks for your help. Hopefully the yard at Wooton Wawen can help. In the meantime, for your amusement, here is my ridiculous botch job to add some grease in the meantime! An old dog syringe from the vet packed with grease. It fit into the fitting by the prop lovely and did go in!

PXL_20240406_195236163.jpg

• Greenie 1

Right, I think we have the answer - you have a 1/4" OD pipe. That means a 6mm olive will not go on but you cannot crush an 8mm olive enough to seal.

Does a 6mm olive go straight through the hole in the nut?

If no, sand down the outside of the pipe enough that the olive will go on. 1mm wall thickness will still be enough. You can then fit the olive over the pipe and crush it up as normal using the nut.

If yes, second choice is to find a washer that you can drop inside the nut. If you are very lucky you will find one with a 6mm hole, but assuming you have a drill this can be addressed if the hole is too small.

Alternative choice is to wrap a load of tape around the outside of the pipe. PTFE tape has been suggested but I would go for electrical insulation tape as it will stay in place better. It won't hold up for long and may leak a bit, but it should give you a week or two with luck. Put on enough that the 8mm olive only just slides over it. Make sure you fit the nut first, then the tape, then the olive and crush it up. It may take a few goes to get this right, but it won't damage the pipe, only the tape.

Alec