Webasto woes

longy

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, longy said:

How long would you run it for Tony also I take it I should see some rise in the radiator temps once it's been on a while

If you can hear the burner roaring, feel very hot gas from the exhaust, I would run it until the smoke clears. How long that will be depends upon how much unburned diesel there is in the system.

If you have only run it for a minute or so then you may find that it cuts out on overheat IF there is air in the pipes, stopping circulation, but that usually happens fairly quickly. If it does not then just allow it to run, you can get an early indication of it working properly by feeling the outlet pipe near the actual boiler. Then the rads should start heating up, but it is seeing if the thing keeps running and the smoke clears that is important.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you can hear the burner roaring, feel very hot gas from the exhaust, I would run it until the smoke clears. How long that will be depends upon how much unburned diesel there is in the system.

If you have only run it for a minute or so then you may find that it cuts out on overheat IF there is air in the pipes, stopping circulation, but that usually happens fairly quickly. If it does not then just allow it to run, you can get an early indication of it working properly by feeling the outlet pipe near the actual boiler. Then the rads should start heating up, but it is seeing if the thing keeps running and the smoke clears that is important.

Hi Tony I ran the system for maybe 15 mins and I also felt the outlet of the exhaust and it wasn't very warm at all. I have read somewhere that removing the fuse will clear faults do you think it would help in this case 

Have you bled all the radiators (and any other bleed points) before running the Webasto?

You will need to leave the charging loop connected and turned on whilst bleeding the system; and the main domestic water pump switched on.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, longy said:

Hi Tony I ran the system for maybe 15 mins and I also felt the outlet of the exhaust and it wasn't very warm at all. I have read somewhere that removing the fuse will clear faults do you think it would help in this case 

Sorry, don't know enough about modern Webastos. It sounds as if the glow plug is not getting hot enough to ignite the fuel, but how it ran the ignition phase for 15 minutes I have no idea. This is why I suggested that you tried it with the engine revving a bit - it raises the battery voltage. I can't see any harm in pulling the fuse, but hopefully someone who knows these units will be along soon.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

Have you bled all the radiators (and any other bleed points) before running the Webasto?

You will need to leave the charging loop connected and turned on whilst bleeding the system; and the main domestic water pump switched on.

Not yet but that will be my next job

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

From the photos I can't see how this system can vent any air trapped in the pipes that stops proper circulation, especially those running to and from the boiler - that is, unless they have bleed points on them.

Because I am a Webasto user I read through all the comments and agree that you have had some helpful suggestions. However,I think

you will save a great deal of time (not money!) by asking a Webasto expert to test your unit and system. It does not appear to be a standard

set-up which is essential for these heaters to work consistently well. If you are located anywhere near the North West I can recommend an

engineer who has sorted my system,but there are very few of these people about.