Castleford to Leicester

tjr1234

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Going on the Yorkshie Ouse, the Humber and the Trent he will need to be complying wth the APB rules :

1) Working (licenced) VHF

2) Working Navigation lights

3) A minimum of 2 crew on board on a boat longer then (I think) 12 metres.

So not difficult at all.

I think you may mean the Tidal Trent. It’s unlikely that many comply on the Trent at Alrewas 😂

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Yes they do, fairly regularly up the Severn, over the Wash and across the Mersey, possibly on the Thames too. 

Hence my question and I can’t see anyone has answered either way. As I pointed out perhaps not the wisest alone unfamiliar with the boat but with a pilot is by far the cheapest and easiest lock wise. There are good boat engineers who could ensure the engine was in good shape. 

I know @Scholar Gypsy has been up to Hull/Beverley, but I don’t think he had a pilot. Perhaps he knows if a Pilot would do it and is available. It’s probably a better  job than navigating the oil tankers up the Humber to Immingham. 

TBH doing the Rochdale or Huddersfield as a first trip is not exactly a great idea either. 

A marine pilot qualified for the Humber has certification and insurance. Plus intimate knowledge of that waterway.

I  have certain professional certifications, but I am not a certified marine pilot for that journey, so even if I was familiar with the area, I would not demand payment as a pilot, I would make that clear to anyone who wanted help.

It's insurance.

PS if you read your insurance contract, it will make it clear that the boat should be seaworthy , and the crew should be competent.

This solo newby is not competent for the Trent route, at this time,  in my opinion.

In five years of NB , I have only had one person on board who had a marine qualification.

Most guys were capable of changing the oil, just like wot I am.

Edited by LadyG
PS