Electric Boat Event

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

There is a recent vlog, I think it maybe the one where the taller one, the artist/magician ( I forget their names), is filling with another 200+ litres, states that with hindsight they maybe shouldn't have gone electric. Surprised Oakums didn't ask them to edit that out considering they apparently made them an offer they couldn't refuse on this boat build.

I'm also surprised they haven't burnt out the bow thruster yet,  as the shorter one, who does most of the driving, uses it as his sole method of manouevre.

It sounds like they had a badly designed installation so I'm not surprised they're unhappy, and I don't think they're the only ones going by some of the ones I've seen videos/descriptions of... 😞 

Don't know for sure about their BT, but if they have a Vetus Pro these are a) throttleable (PMAC motor like propulsion) and b) will run for 10mins continuously at full power, or much longer (and more quietly) at lower power levels. Though under what circumstance you'd ever want to do this beats me...

OTOH if they have a conventional (and much cheaper) on-off BT screamer, it's probably toast by now... 😉 

Edited by IanD

22 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

I'm also surprised they haven't burnt out the bow thruster yet,  as the shorter one, who does most of the driving, uses it as his sole method of manouevre.

Did you ever see him using the throttle on the diesel? Several short bursts in rapid succession whilst manoeuvring, enough to make your drivetrain cry.

16 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Did you ever see him using the throttle on the diesel? Several short bursts in rapid succession whilst manoeuvring, enough to make your drivetrain cry.

On the first canal holiday -- well, weekend -- I went on with some friends many years ago, the "experienced" steerer (whose idea it was) mostly treated the throttle as binary -- only two positions, (full) on and off. Well three actually, especially in locks -- full astern, off and full ahead. Cue lots of noise and smoke and thrashing water everywhere... 😞 

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

On the first canal holiday -- well, weekend -- I went on with some friends many years ago, the "experienced" steerer (whose idea it was) mostly treated the throttle as binary -- only two positions, (full) on and off. Well three actually, especially in locks -- full astern, off and full ahead. Cue lots of noise and smoke and thrashing water everywhere... 😞 

My late mate used to drive like that, full throttle or full on brakes. I put it down to the fact that his first car was a Citroen 2CV and he never changed his driving style after that, even when he had a Porsche Boxter... :)

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My late mate used to drive like that, full throttle or full on brakes. I put it down to the fact that his first car was a Citroen 2CV and he never changed his driving style after that, even when he had a Porsche Boxter... :)

Is that why he became late? 😉