Leaking stern gland

Featured Posts

On 12/03/2024 at 22:22, Peanut said:

You can get a replacement seal from Vetus, but not cheap. The grease goes in-between the two lips of the seal, also on the shaft, see PDF.

https://www.vetus-shop.com/replacement-dual-lip-seal-for-vetus-zwb45-p-2551.html

PDF linked on page.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I can't see any options for different shaft diameters? It doesn't even say what diameter the one shown is as far as I can see? 

41 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

wow, that is expensive... Vetus are the Apple of the canal world!

Yes Vetus are notoriously expensive, but in the grand scheme of all things boaty it's not that bad. How often are you going to replace it? Depending on how much cruising you do maybe once every 10 or 15 years?

58 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

However, there would likely be a steady leak into the boat while you are doing the work & getting the new seals.

When I slide that seal housing up the shaft to put silicone grease in, water comes in at the rate of about a litre a minute. So as long as you've got a working bilge pump down there there's no need to panic.

You'd want the shaft unbolted from the gearbox coupling and everything ready before you start removing the seal.

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I can't see any options for different shaft diameters? It doesn't even say what diameter the one shown is as far as I can see? 

The 45 in the part number is the shaft diameter in mm - it is clearer in the part description on the euro website e.g. Spare part set - 35mm DLS "double lip seal" (vetusonline.com)

• 5 weeks later...