A to Z of Vintage Marine Engines by Kevin Whittle

Featured Posts

I have a copy of the above book (2nd Edition Aug 2002) in excellent condition which I am considering selling, as I no longer refer to it. The problem is that I have no idea of it's current value or where the best place to sell it might be, I have looked on ebay, and Abe books, but neither have had a record of any copy for sale recently. Any advice would be most welcome.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I have a copy of the above book (2nd Edition Aug 2002) in excellent condition which I am considering selling, as I no longer refer to it. The problem is that I have no idea of it's current value or where the best place to sell it might be, I have looked on ebay, and Abe books, but neither have had a record of any copy for sale recently. Any advice would be most welcome.

I'd have thought the For Sale section here would be as likely to find a buyer as anywhere else on line. The large bookselling firms are only going to reach people who already know about the book and are searching for it, whereas everyone here already has an interest in NBs and quite a few of us like vintage engines too.

I already have a copy myself by the way! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MtB said:

I'd have thought the For Sale section here would be as likely to find a buyer as anywhere else on line. The large bookselling firms are only going to reach people who already know about the book and are searching for it, whereas everyone here already has an interest in NBs and quite a few of us like vintage engines too.

I already have a copy myself by the way! 

I would be happy to try and sell it on the forum, but how much should I ask for it? I know what it cost more than twenty years ago. It was expensive, and it wasn't out of print then.

Edited by David Schweizer

I would have thought that an asking price the same as the original sticker price would be a good starting point.  You  can always reduce if there is no interest, and if the phone is ringing off the hook then a withdrawal is always possible.

I guess that many of the copies printed went onto shelves, and  will not change hands again.

N

The late Kevin Whittle was a remarkable man.  He was always keen to help and guide Kelvin owners like me and could usually find spare parts.  He was also a one-man book publisher.  He taught himself desk top publishing software and he designed and published his own books to a very high standard.  An A to Z of Marine Engines and Vintage Marine Engines for Narrowboats and The Book of the Kelvin Model J are classics.  He did this long before it before self-publishing became common.

I would be very reluctant to sell my copies. 

Over many years he also single-handedly published a regular magazine, The Kelvin Register, which is full of articles and illustrations on the restoration and maintenance of Kelvins.

This picture shows Kevin with a Kelvin engine which I discovered half buried in the Thames.  Kevin had it transported to Shropshire andI believe it was brought back to life.  I wonder what became of it?

IMG_3992.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Hmmm a J4 I'd say. 

I'd buy it! 

Edit: On looking more closerer prolly a K4. Too big for my 45ft tiddler! 

Yes it was a K4. Picture taken in 2006.

IMG_0221.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MtB said:

Hmmm a J4 I'd say. 

I'd buy it! 

Edit: On looking more closerer prolly a K4. Too big for my 45ft tiddler! 

Not neccessarily. About 25 years ago I was single handing over the Chilterms, and paired up with an old tug, which I believe was moored at Aylesbury. It was powered by a K4, and the owner admitted that it was a bit OTT, but apparently he was descended from the Kelvin family, so it was important to him. Unfortunately I cannot recall the name of the tug.

Edited by David Schweizer