Engine Servicing - Recommend Engineers

Featured Posts

Hello.

Can anybody recommend an engine service engineer in the Caldon Canal / Trent & Mersey north of Stoke area? Beta 43 engine in case you were to ask.

I have been looking up service engineers online but just after some recommendations. My engine has two services a year (continuous cruiser) and every second service I like to get an engineer in.

Last engineer I used was from RCR and I was not impressed - not necessarily the engineer but the basic work they give. When I asked at the time of booking for the tappets to be also checked they said only if the engineer had time. Well he didn't as he had four services booked in for that day and they were spread all across the region and he was not sure if he could do them all. No engine mounts checked, no prop shaft nuts checked etc. - literally change oil, filters and air filter. I am starting to do these checks myself but as mentioned I like to get a pro in every other service.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

You appear to have a pretty good grasp of what needs looking at and how to do it.  Why not do all the servicing  yourself and look for a mechanic only when you are unsure that something is right or have a snag you can't  handle?

Some reference photographs of how it all looks when in good order would form a starting point .

N

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, BEngo said:

You appear to have a pretty good grasp of what needs looking at and how to do it.  Why not do all the servicing  yourself and look for a mechanic only when you are unsure that something is right or have a snag you can't  handle?

Some reference photographs of how it all looks when in good order would form a starting point .

N

And if told, we may be able to help with any snags that come up.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Hello.

Can anybody recommend an engine service engineer in the Caldon Canal / Trent & Mersey north of Stoke area? Beta 43 engine in case you were to ask.

I have been looking up service engineers online but just after some recommendations. My engine has two services a year (continuous cruiser) and every second service I like to get an engineer in.

Last engineer I used was from RCR and I was not impressed - not necessarily the engineer but the basic work they give. When I asked at the time of booking for the tappets to be also checked they said only if the engineer had time. Well he didn't as he had four services booked in for that day and they were spread all across the region and he was not sure if he could do them all. No engine mounts checked, no prop shaft nuts checked etc. - literally change oil, filters and air filter. I am starting to do these checks myself but as mentioned I like to get a pro in every other service.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

You seem to be more aware than many so called engineers, I think you will do a better job yourself. Certainly you can do better than an RCR fitter with no time or inclination to do a proper job.

You could get the real expert in, Chris Jones, Beta engineer and installer,  07887 565531. Alsager based I think unless he has moved, I haven't seen him for a while.  He will be more thorough than a non affiliated fitter and has all the spares to hand.

• Greenie 2

FYI ... Chris Jones moved to the Nottingham area about three/four years ago and is based around the Redhill area. He is still doing mobile servicing (07887565531).

Edited by JoeC
  • Greenie 1

I have booked in James Parry (J M S Marine Services 07539 874309 based around Alsagar on the T&M) to come to me to do a service - details given to me by Chris Jones.

• Greenie 1