Engine stop cable only works one way

Burts boat

Featured Posts

Hi all I’m new to this forum and boats in general.

I hope one of you guys can advise me on an annoying problem with my BMC 1800. The stop cable has started to only stop the engine when pulled but will not return the lever when pushed back down. This is a pain as to start the engine I have to push the lever forward to start the boat. 
I don’t this I had a return spring installed but I cannot be sure. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated

2 minutes ago, Burts boat said:

Hi all I’m new to this forum and boats in general.

I hope one of you guys can advise me on an annoying problem with my BMC 1800. The stop cable has started to only stop the engine when pulled but will not return the lever when pushed back down. This is a pain as to start the engine I have to push the lever forward to start the boat. 
I don’t this I had a return spring installed but I cannot be sure. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I think that you have a Bowden cable, rather than a Morse/Teleflex one. Bowden cables (like old car choke cables) are notorious doing that unless both ends of the outer are well clamped to stop them moving.

I expect either one of the end outer clams has fallen off or the spiral metal wrapping has begun opening up.

Try greasing the cable.

Make sure both ends of the outer are properly clamped.

Fit a return spring (has one fallen off).

Fit a Morse/Teleflex stop cable

A broken Morse 33C type cable that has been shortened to expose a length of the inner makes a good stop cable, as long as you can find something to screw onto it to act as a knob. They are far easier to clamp the outer than Bowdens.

Perfectly normal to have to push the stop button back in. You could fit a spring but its not a standard fitment. If the lever on the pump has become stiff and the cable will not push it back then either the pump needs attention or the cable protruding from the outer sheath is too long. Has the anchor for the outer sheath moved back? The inner cable is normally solid not multi strand so it is more rigid.

I would like to thank you are your advice. I followed the cable back to the pull point. Not an easy task but I found that end was not clamped as suggested. I have fixed it and I’m back up and running.

Many thanks from a boating beginner 

• Happy 2

11 minutes ago, Burts boat said:

I would like to thank you are your advice. I followed the cable back to the pull point. Not an easy task but I found that end was not clamped as suggested. I have fixed it and I’m back up and running.

Many thanks from a boating beginner 

Now that is a result.  My comments to a new boater worked so I did not chase him away as I have been accused of doing on many occasions?  I must be losing my touch.

Thank you for your response, Burt, glad you are back running.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think Burt was thanking Tony as well. After all it was Tony who first gave the advice to check the clamps at both ends of the cable. 

O does not matter, he got advice, had ot confirmed, and solved the issue. Job done.