Batteries, inverters, power bank questions

HenryFreeman

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

True, but just be careful with a system like this if you're also charging from an engine alternator -- the first reason is that it's easy to cook an alternator when charging LFP batteries, the second is that if the battery BMS does a high-voltage disconnect to protect itself at >100% SoC and the engine is running, the resulting load dump spike can destroy the alternator and anything connected to 12V.

Just shove an LA battery in parallel, protects the alternator.😲

That's effectively what happens with my caravan/car system.

Not yet seen how much alternator gets worked but I can disable charging in the app if it's to much.

5 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Just shove an LA battery in parallel, protects the alternator.😲

That's effectively what happens with my caravan/car system.

Not yet seen how much alternator gets worked but I can disable charging in the app if it's to much.

That's certainly one solution, as is an alternator protection device like the Sterling one. But one or the other is needed to prevent possible damage, not just dropping-in an LFP battery and doing nothing else.

Cooked alternators are a well-known consequence of using them to charge LFP batteries, which unlike LA will accept all the current they can provide for hours until almost full; unless you monitor alternator temperature (do you?), the first thing you know is when the magic smoke comes out... 😞

Edited by IanD

Or separate the engine battery from the domestic battery. The OP says they have a 2.6 kva suitcase generator and 600w of solar power. Depending on vessel usage they might not need to run the main engine much at all. 

I'd be tempted to use the generator to make 85A if possible. Apparently lithium batteries suck in power like a [rude joke removed] on holiday. 

• 3 weeks later...