Macclesfield canal shut from Stop Lock to Bosley.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

As below:

Our teams arrived onsite this morning to a significant leak through a culvert south of Bridge 87, Kent Green Bridge on the Macclesfield Canal.  We commenced with the installation of stop planks between Lock 13, Hall Green Stop Lock and Bridge 85, Simpsons Bridge to prevent a further loss of water and stabilise the water levels within the canal.  Following the installation of the stop planks we placed temporary sheeting in the canal bed over the affected culvert, which has significantly reduced the flow of water escaping through the culvert.  Our contractors arrived onsite this afternoon to install dams closer to the affected area, along with an over pumping system to maintain the water levels in the surrounding area, this work will continue through the evening. A fish rescue will be carried out as soon as possible which will allow us to dewater the affected section so our engineers can inspect the culvert.  For the safety of our customers and to ensure a safe working environment, navigation is closed between Lock 13, Hall Green Stop Lock and Lock 12, Bosley Bottom Lock, this is to reduce fluctuation of the water levels within the pound.  The towpath has also been closed between Bridge 87, Kent Green Bridge and Bridge 89, Morris Bridge.  We’d like to thank our customer for their understanding and co-operation whilst we undertake these works.  A further update will be provided Monday 18 December

2 hours ago, Moke said:

That’s true. Moored at Congleton with the occasional trip to Kidsgrove for the services and shopping (Tesco & Lidl are closer there)

I think there's a Co-op just up the hill from Congleton wharf. If the stop lock's padlocked its a trek to Kidsgrove and nowhere to turn. There's water and elsan or pumpout at Heritage. There's more shops by the station just north of the wharf.

True but if we’re stuck here awhile it’ll be a bit expensive. We’ve been around here for a couple of weeks now as my other half has done a mischief to her back and she’s visiting the local NHS and witch doctors around here looking for a cure. 
  There’s also a tap just north of Congleton with a winding hole just past it so that’s pretty easy, it’s just the cassettes that are a worry….at £2.50 a pop Heritage are also somewhat heavy on the wallet. 

4 minutes ago, Moke said:

True but if we’re stuck here awhile it’ll be a bit expensive. We’ve been around here for a couple of weeks now as my other half has done a mischief to her back and she’s visiting the local NHS and witch doctors around here looking for a cure. 
  There’s also a tap just north of Congleton with a winding hole just past it so that’s pretty easy, it’s just the cassettes that are a worry….at £2.50 a pop Heritage are also somewhat heavy on the wallet. 

That's gone up - was a quid last time I used them. Just hope CRT get it sorted quickly.

3 hours ago, Moke said:

That’s true. Moored at Congleton with the occasional trip to Kidsgrove for the services and shopping (Tesco & Lidl are closer there)

There's a Morrisons within walking distance of the canal at Buglawton. You could combine a trip to the water point with a visit there. We spent a lot of lockdown 1 around Congleton with Bosley flight closed, doing a car shuffle to get the sh*t suitcases emptied at Bosely services.

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's gone up - was a quid last time I used them. Just hope CRT get it sorted quickly.

I wonder if we could claim a rebate from the CRT if the repairs take a while 

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

There's a Morrisons within walking distance of the canal at Buglawton. You could combine a trip to the water point with a visit there. We spent a lot of lockdown 1 around Congleton with Bosley flight closed, doing a car shuffle to get the sh*t suitcases emptied at Bosely services.

The only problem with that plan is I’d have to find somewhere to offload the car first!

3 minutes ago, Moke said:

I wonder if we could claim a rebate from the CRT if the repairs take a while 

The only problem with that plan is I’d have to find somewhere to offload the car first!

You can get a car off the road at the CRT yard where the tap is. The gate lock isn't a watermate key, but there's enough room to park a car roadside of the gate, and gap big enough to carry cassettes through to the car. Bosely sani is 10 minutes from there  by road and easily accessible by car.  

MP.

Update on 20/12/2023:

We would like to provide an update on the repair works at the culvert south of Bridge 87, Kent Green Bridge, on the Macclesfield Canal.  While the repair works have been progressing well, further residual leaks have been identified at the site.

To accommodate our boating customers during the festive season, we have organised a plan to ensure passage through the canal before Christmas.  Passage Arrangements:  On Thursday, 21 December, at 10:00am the stop planks will be temporarily removed, allowing passage through the canal.  The canal will remain open until Friday, 22 December, at 1:00pm. 

At 1:00pm on Friday, 22 December, stop planks will be reinstalled, and the canal will be closed to facilitate necessary grouting works.  The canal will remain closed with stop planks in place between Bridge 85, Simpsons Bridge, and Lock 13, Hall Green Stop Lock from 1:00pm on Friday, 22 December 22 through until the new year where we’ll aim to provide another window of passage. 

The towpath locally to the working area will be closed, with a short diversion route available between the narrowing's at the former Bridge 88 and Bridge 87, Kent Green Bridge.  We understand the importance of keeping navigation open, especially during the festive season, and we would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your continued cooperation during this temporary closure.  A further update on the progress and additional windows of passage will be provided on Tuesday 2 January

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That could end in tears, opening a leaking canal, they only get worse.

I'll be surprised if there's many going through. There's one boat stuck at Congleton, but it's not exactly busy at present. They seem to have fixed the culvert and just got a minor leak. Minor so far, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest (sort of) update. I suspect shut til Easter, if we're lucky:

Our works to facilitate necessary investigations are progressing well at the culvert in between Bridge 87, Kent Green Bridge and Lock 13, Hall Green Stop Lock.  We anticipate the preliminary works to clear and inspect the culvert will be completed by the end of the week. In addition, our contractors will be conducting various CCTV investigations for which we will need to await the results of, the results will assist our engineers in establishing a suitable methodology for a permanent repair. 

Whilst we’re not in a position to provide a timeframe for this closure, the work at this location is extensive as it includes repairs to the culvert, washwall and canal bed, as soon as we’ve identified the full extent of the repairs required we’ll be able to communicate a date when reopening will be possible.  The towpath will remain closed until the works are complete as we will be completing the reinstatement works to the surrounding areas.  A further progress update will be provided Wednesday 31 January

We finally bit the bullet the day before that announcement and with the help of a couple of volunteers managed to climb the Bosley flight to join you in the clouds up here. It only took four hours but we’ve got some new territory to explore for a couple of months now