c1883 Culham Lock

mark99

Featured Posts

Interesting that old narrow boats are being used for the steam grab. The timber baulks supporting the machine seem to be tied onto the boats with rope.

I think that must be the lower lay-by because I understand that the upper lock cut was through rock that needed explosives to dig.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Interesting that old narrow boats are being used for the steam grab. The timber baulks supporting the machine seem to be tied onto the boats with rope.

I think that must be the lower lay-by because I understand that the upper lock cut was through rock that needed explosives to dig.

Yes also there is no rising ground going away from the lock cut. 

The lower layby seems to have a steeper background but difficult to tell because of the trees. 

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes also there is no rising ground going away from the lock cut. 

The lower layby seems to have a steeper background but difficult to tell because of the trees. 

I agree about the steeper background nowadays, but it is now so steep - almost vertical in one length, that I think there may have been a lot of soil moving at some time.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

The picture reminds me a lot of Nuneham. There is a building of some sort in the background which may have been one of the lodges. 

Agreed, the slope looks far more Newnham like, but I suspect there are other places along the Thames that look similar.

It also reminds me of the bit below Clifton Hampden bridge. There are shallows there, so could need dredging.