Hinskey Park Oxon 1882

mark99

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I don't know. 

Its an interesting question which is why I made the comment. 

The position of the chimneys on the boats is interesting. The one to the left which also has signwriting looks like it is in the right place but the other one seems more central perhaps a mess room layout rather than accomodation. 

IMG_20231204_114530.jpg.be3e628baf1d5824a6feade3f04392ea.jpg

The cabins on the middle two look like they may have been repaired/knocked up possibly for this use.

The hull shapes look to me like long distance boats. The size of the cabins also suggests this.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I don’t see a rudder on all of them and it’s debatable it’s hung properly on the ones that do.

I think the rudders have floated orf when the boats were filled with water to get the right level for loading. On a boat like that the lower hanger comes out first. 

The people running the operation were not boat people so unlikely they would have noticed the relevance of unshipped rudders. 

The first boat (from the left) has its rudder and ellum hanging from the safety chain, the second has none, the third has the ellum in the pintle, but displaced from the bottom, the fourth has none. The two middle boats are very run down, especially the third. I suspect all have original long distance cabins and probably been selected for their bouyancy and not appearance. Contact with the bank may have dislodged the two that can be seen, maybe the other two are stuck on a weir somewhere.