Etruria

mark99

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

These images published by Mark - is the date known ? for those above and in other recent posts and the photographer The gas holders would indicate the Gasworks and in the top image is that coke for loading?

I will look it up when I got a mo.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

These images published by Mark - is the date known ? for those above and in other recent posts and the photographer The gas holders would indicate the Gasworks and in the top image is that coke for loading?

From Staffordshire archives. The first image is attributed between 1940 and 1900. The second is stated 1961.

I know coal may have come in by boat - coke - possibly outbound. One of my neighbours remembers using an old pram to take his coke from the local gasworks!

Edited by mark99

Looking at the Staffordshire Past Track Website the wharf may have coal on it with the waggon collecting coal.

The position of the gas holders would suggest the Stoke Gasworks which was near to the Trent Aqueduct

See attached 1937 Ordnance Survey

The two gas works holders are at the corner of Lytton Street and Grant Street

280180.jpg

Edited by Heartland

In the first image it’s hard to see what is on the wharf but whatever it is is neatly stacked so not coal or coke and it looks like there is a wall behind and in front of the gasworks. The 2nd image appears to have an S type Bedford tipper which has NCB logo on the doors so maybe it was a loading place as plenty of colleries in the area then 

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling