Refleks: insufficient fuel flow

SY Scepsis

Featured Posts

Background

I bought a new Refleks 66MW heater. This is the smallest heater which is wallmounted. Since I got it I had issues where I had insufficient fuel flow into the pot. Basicly, I could only keep the flame alive when using setting 6 - and then barely so. Tried all sorts of things, but ultimately had to send the heater back to Refleks (DK) who looked it over. They found nothing significant but did adjust the fuel screws on the regulator. I got it back and it was working like a charm. Setting 1 had become as expected, turning my 8m boat into subtropical temperatures in a matter of hours! The stove has been working perfectly for about one and a half weeks… untill two days ago.

The issue

We had a lot of wind over the weekend, which caused the flame to behave rather irregular. Didn’t pay much attention to it, but it may be significant as I now have a stove that does not work! By “not work” I mean that the flow of Diesel into the pot is insufficient to keep a normal flame going. This is irrespective of which setting I choose, as 1-6 doesn’t really appear to make a difference in the amount of diesel that reaches the chamber.

Things to consider
* This model does **not** allow one to open the regulator on the top (it is sealed shut)

* The cleaning pin has of course been moved multiple times - it shows nothing.

* I have not changed the setup (gravity fed with a filter in between)

* I did put new diesel into the day tank (10 L) from a jerrycan which is kept outside. I’m unfortunately not sure if problems started after this, but it is possible.

Does anyone have any idea what has caused this problem and how to solve it? Thanks for any help! 

There is a tiny filter on the inlet to the fuel regulator. 

Its been a while since I had one (The 66M I had was stolen from the boat while alight by a crazy burglar) but I seem to recall that where the fuel pipe goes in to the reg there is a long thin gauze type filter which is obviously prone to blockage. if the fuel tank its outside there is also the issue of cold temperatures and condensation issues. 

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up draining the whole system, filter, regulator, and the pipe that connects the regulator to the heater. I did find a few spickles of black in the pipe, other than that I found nothing. Afterwards everything worked again as expected I have to say. So might have been water and/or air!

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, SY Scepsis said:

I ended up draining the whole system, filter, regulator, and the pipe that connects the regulator to the heater. I did find a few spickles of black in the pipe, other than that I found nothing. Afterwards everything worked again as expected I have to say. So might have been water and/or air!

Thanks for the update. So often, we never hear the end of the story and it can help others searching on a similar issue.