Stoves DIT500 grill. Not staying lit.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

We have a nine year old Stoves cooker. I believe the thermocouple has packed up. Been looking online for a replacement but they don’t look the same. However, the one we have has a nye on break in the cable. Is there such a thing as heat resistant tape that I can carryout a botch up repair? I have tiled around the cooker so will need to remove ‘stuff’ to get the Bloomin thing out which I’m reluctant to do. I’m the wrong age and shape to do this easily.

Thanks for any forthcoming advice.

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thermocouple will be copper, not nylon wire.

My thought as well, but I think that I have read about electrical flame failure devices. I do not mean the ones that use the ionising flame to detect the flame. If I am correct then the nylon could be the flame failure, but if so the OP would do well to ensure negative "earth" continuity between the flame failure probe and the gas valve.

The igniter is at the rear of the burner unit. The bit that has the potential fault sits in the flame and glows hot. Let go of the ‘grill knob’ and the flame goes out. Had the cooker out now. Without disconnecting the gas supply which I’m hesitant to do I can’t twist the unit round to scrutinise where the thermocouple connects to the unit. I can but try try try again. Surprising how much muck and dust accumulates around these things. We need a new boat. This one is getting dirty.

56 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure the nylon thing is not an igniter cable?

You have got nylon from me writing nye-on meaning nearly broken.  I think.

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Make sure that the knob is not hitting the facia before it has travelled far enough to connect to the gas valve.  Try lighting without the knob on.

The thermocouple is screwed into the back of the grill tap.

Good point. To be honest guv. the cooker needs a deep clean. It’s not filthy but it’s not clean. I’ll take all the knobs off and clean them.  Just put the burner back in place. It just slots onto the supply nozzle with a retaining nut. Blow me down. It now works. And that before cleaning the blasted thing. But I will now clean it all. 

35 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Good point. To be honest guv. the cooker needs a deep clean. It’s not filthy but it’s not clean. I’ll take all the knobs off and clean them.  Just put the burner back in place. It just slots onto the supply nozzle with a retaining nut. Blow me down. It now works. And that before cleaning the blasted thing. But I will now clean it all. 

If it is the knob problem, a ball of paper in the knob will stop it going on too far. Glad you sorted it.