Looking for a narrowboat

Mike Bowden

Featured Posts

On 26/09/2023 at 17:58, PCSB said:

Reminds me of when we were looking ... especially the "OMG, really??" bit. We went on one that the broker said was 10K over priced, they were asking 12K 🤣 it really was bad!

When we were first looking we went to a broker and had chosen a few boats to look at from their website. When we told them which boat we wanted to look at first they replied "are you sure ?". That set off alarm bells, the on line photos had been judiciously cropped and a bath mat strategically placed over the huge crack in the side of the hip bath amongst other issues.

• Haha 1

On 13/09/2023 at 19:38, cuthound said:

I would suggest a visit to Whilton Marine. Not to buy (they are rumoured to use dodgy practices to sell boats), but to crystallise what you like/want/don't want.

They allow you to take the keys to three boats at a time for unsupervised unspections.

Having decided exactly what you want then you can view boats at other brokers to see if they have the boat that will choose you.

Would you look at this though?

Salty (whiltonmarina.co.uk)

15 minutes ago, Mike Bowden said:

They do, albeit rarely, have nice boats for sale.

When I went there in 2012 to show Mrs Hound the variability between boats, they had a Hudson boat "Lechyd Da" for sale, at the then astronomical sum of £100k.

4 hours ago, MrsM said:

Looks a nice boat with a good builder and fitter. Always worth looking at as much as possible in your price range. Out of interest, did you view the first 2 boats you mentioned? Would be keen to hear what you thought of them. 

Thank you.  Yes, we viewed the first two boats.  The first (older one) was beautifully fitted out but was looking a bit tired in places (damaged wood/doors not fitting etc etc).  The second (Aqualine) is effectively new (2 years old) and with a high quality fit-out - the trad stern may not fit our needs through and the bed in the main bedroom needs extending.   

22 hours ago, Mike Bowden said:

Honestly?

Bland.

The interior has little going for it. Doesn't shout 'buy me'. 

For that price 2nd hand I'd want more.

Paint job as well. Not sure Wilson's or Finesse are allowed to paint properly (Well, if you want to spend top dollar, you want top dollar boats).

So if getting a Wilson shell, get one that's gone through a decent fit out.