Water pump replacement.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Had the boat 18 years. Fresh water domestic pump is a Shurflo. Over the years I have replaced the diaphragm with the repair kit. Normally lasts five years. We are livaboards. Always considered this to be okay. But! The motor is starting to make more noise whilst running and now needs repair again. I’m thinking of replacing the unit.

The Jabsco gets good reviews as does the Shurflo to be fair.

Which is the better unit. A really quiet one would be preferable.

Next question. We are not far from Preston and Southport. Any thoughts on nearest chandlers or retail outlet to buy from.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Martyn and Crew.

Our Jabsco 2.9 pump is pretty quiet (when mounted on something firm) and has been reliable so far. My only criticism is that the little blue plastic clips that hold the pipe connectors in place are as fragile as can be. Worth getting a few spares.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I would go for jabsco replacement. Shurflo never got good reviews on this forum as far as I'm aware.

You don't want your pump to be too quiet. Being able to hear it activate for no reason may be an early warning of a leak.

True. The older Shurflo pumps were of better quality. It seems the newer ones are not as well built. Our pump has served us well. Very well with a few repairs over the years. A bit like triggers broom I guess.

Your biggest problem will be matching the flow relative to the pressure so that you get anything like the values that the old shurflo pump produced.

Old Shurflo pumps seemed to be much better at producing the rated flow than modern pumps are, they are usually marked in US gallons per min

This can be an issue if you have an instant water heater feeding a shower, particularly if this is thermostatically controlled.

Whilst your old pump works still, measure the flow rate at the taps and shower head. A 1 litre jug and stopwatch on your phone plus a bit of maths  will give you flow in litres per min.

I have juggled pumps and makes but never quite been able to match the original shurflo characteristics.

I have also had issues with the Jabsco blue pipe holding clips working loose.

This allows the suction connection to work loose resulting in air through the pump then a tank full of water in the bilge, so always use insulating tape to hold them in place now.

Lastly the pressure switches in the pump have a very short life and the setting slowly changes as they bed in.