Trees

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Have you ever had a tree or large branch fall onto your boat?

Some years ago in Oxford I had 2 not really that big branches fall on my boat, they made a hell of a racket as they smashed onto the roof gave us quite a scare. Its quite windy here tonight. :wub:

Some years ago in Oxford I had 2 not really that big branches fall on my boat, they made a hell of a racket as they smashed onto the roof gave us quite a scare. Its quite windy here tonight. :wub:

That wouldn't be nice. I'm sure a really big tree could sink you! (Ok, I'm talking Giant Sequoia :D )

We're just sorting everything out ready to start living aboard, and deciding what we really need to take. Is it worth having a bow saw on board ready for this sort of thing, or is it a very rare occurance?

Cheers,

Keithtug

We're just sorting everything out ready to start living aboard, and deciding what we really need to take. Is it worth having a bow saw on board ready for this sort of thing, or is it a very rare occurance?

Cheers,

Keithtug

Always handy to have a decent saw aboard. If nothing else, it's very useful for cutting-up normal (none boat hitting!) windfall and any bought logs that are a bit too big.

And after tongihts slightly blustery weather there could well be some windfall!

There was a 40ft nb at Bisham Abbey sailing school which was sunk by an oak tree and i've seen an all steel boat caved in by a few inches when a big willow hit it. I watched my own shed crushed by a tree in october 1986 when I was 12, and my neighbour's car. I don't moor under dodgy trees.

I don't moor under dodgy trees.

I,ve been in touch with BW, The Developer and the Council about these trees opposite my boat and have got nowhere. Bw usually say that they own 6ft of the offside bank but not here and these trees are almost growing out of the water. They were pollarded about 20ft up about 6 years ago but now have at least 20ft of growth above that. The trees further along the industrial estate have all been sorted out but this Developer does not seem to care about the damage that could be done if one of these trees fell onto my or my neighbours boat, or towpath if I'm away joeyandtrees021.jpg

I,ve been in touch with BW, The Developer and the Council about these trees opposite my boat and have got nowhere. Bw usually say that they own 6ft of the offside bank but not here and these trees are almost growing out of the water. They were pollarded about 20ft up about 6 years ago but now have at least 20ft of growth above that. The trees further along the industrial estate have all been sorted out but this Developer does not seem to care about the damage that could be done if one of these trees fell onto my or my neighbours boat, or towpath if I'm away
Keep copies of all correspondance. If the worst happens it will sink any defence the landowner may have if you can prove you warned them about it.

Keep copies of all correspondance. If the worst happens it will sink any defence the landowner may have if you can prove you warned them about it.

The word "sink" sends a shudder down my spine, and gales forcasted as well. Today I got in touch with the tree man at the council again, he told me it would be a idea to get in touch with the Land Registry office to find out who owns the land the trees are on, this would cost me around £10 but the developer that owns the trees has not denied responsability for them, he just wont get anything done, it was over a month ago when I contacted him, he has never got back to me, perhaps I should get BW to get on to them :wub::D

I,ve been in touch with BW, The Developer and the Council about these trees opposite my boat and have got nowhere. Bw usually say that they own 6ft of the offside bank but not here and these trees are almost growing out of the water. They were pollarded about 20ft up about 6 years ago but now have at least 20ft of growth above that. The trees further along the industrial estate have all been sorted out but this Developer does not seem to care about the damage that could be done if one of these trees fell onto my or my neighbours boat, or towpath if I'm away joeyandtrees021.jpg

But why do you think these trees will fall down. They look pretty good to me.

Edited by Yoda

Cheers,

Keithtug

In case you encounter a tree when reversing I would get a stern saw as well.

SteveE

Cheers,

Keithtug

A small bow saw is a 'must have' as far as I am concerned. They will cope with chopping up lumps of wood & small logs and are much safer and easier to store than a chain saw.

I have a selection of Bowsaws- 14", 24", 30" and 36". Sandvik or Bushmaster :wub: blades seem to be the best. Very difficult to accidentally lop your leg off with these things, something a chainsaw will do quite readily.I have a selection of Bowsaws- 14", 24", 30" and 36". Sandvik or Bushmaster :D blades seem to be the best. Very difficult to accidentally lop your leg off with these things, something a chainsaw will do quite readily.I have a selection of Bowsaws- 14", 24", 30" and 36". Sandvik or Bushmaster :clapping: blades seem to be the best. Very difficult to accidentally lop your leg off with these things, something a chainsaw will do quite readily.....,....:clapping: sorry 4 the triple post can't elp it.

i use my japanese hand saw more than my bow saw.

Guess that could be a personal thing G ;-) but I keep in finding that the tools I want to use aren't the ones that are available when i want them :-( Must try and sort it all out,. If anyone's not sure about anything and its between 8am and 6pm I find that calling 01923 201120 (i cannot tell you how many attempts tjht took)is heopful. Nigvh night. D

We were moored on the visitor moorings at Whaley Bridge a few years ago and had just settled down to watch coronation street , there were kids playing on the towpath and the trip boat from the basin went past .

Suddenly there was a sound like a thousand fire crackers going off and a tremendous thump . Half a beech tree from just over the towpath fence had come down , new leaf growth had proved too much weight for the main trunk which was partially rotten - there was no wind . Luckily for us the main part of the trunk went throught the gap between the stern rail and the cabin of our cruiser stern, it knocked out some of our electrics and starter motor but there was no serious damage.Neighboring boaters soon had it cut up and the towpath and canal reopened. The Bw emergency response crew turned up several hours later but unfortunately had neglected to bring their chain saw !!! ( very pissed off as they were missing a major soccer match on tv) It transpired that a similar incident had happened very recently and a number of the trees were in a dangerous state , however when I raised the question with the local Bw supervisor as to why nothing had been done about the trees as it was very lucky no-one had been hurt I was told that as they were not on Bw property there was nothing he could do.

A similar instance happened on the Staffs & Worcs canal at Penridge Basin but the boat owner of that boat was not so lucky and the weight of the trunk actually sank the steel narrow boat .

Our boat Goldberry has a steel hull and grp top - had we been moored a few feet further back the outcome would have been somewhat different.

Suddenly there was a sound like a thousand fire crackers going off and a tremendous thump . Half a beech tree from just over the towpath fence had come down , new leaf growth had proved too much weight for the main trunk which was partially rotten - there was no wind

Beech have a tendency to shed limbs, so i'd always be very wary of camping / mooring under beech trees.