Engine service

Silent Flight

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Quite.

I get this in my line of business too. 

"Punter" Can you come and service my boiler please? 

Me: Yes how about next Friday?

Punter: Can't you come any quicker? 

Me: Why, isn't it working?

Punter: No we've had no heating or hot water for a week

Me: Ok so you actually need a breakdown repair not a service!  

Shocking, truly shocking.

16 hours ago, LadyG said:

Lots of edits to remove multiple duplicate posts of the same reply. Not sure why that happened. The original reply was:

Do you want a full Independent engine room health check or basic service procedures carried out? 

Changing gearbox oil or fluid isn't rocket science, if you can extract the old fluid/oil. I use a cheapish Pela pump. For grease gun, I'm assuming you mean refilling the stern gland greaser. That's pretty straightforward and also should be fairly accessible as you need the greaser at hand after cruising. There are lots of guides and videos online to support you. 

I guess a boat engine service is similar to a dealer car service these days. Oil change etc  but not checking every inch of the car for faults outside the service spec. Independent garages "might" go the extra mile. 

Edited by Ianws

On 07/07/2023 at 14:08, Crewcut said:

If people prefer to pay somebody for whatever reason that's fair enough and on the canals you also have a breakdown service if you want, but none of this stuff is rocket science. DIY gives a better understanding of how everything works, means that you stand a better chance of resolving problems as they occur (and they will occur) and of course saves you money...

The point is that one could be doing it wrong, and over time things start to break, my default engine check includes shining a torch in the engine hole, and inspection of hoses, not something I think I've ever seen anyone else do. 

I'm not convinced that changing the oil and filter gives one an understanding of how a diesel engine works, not just by looking at it, there are books of course, so one would need to have read them, and then it would help with getting to know your engine....

Edited by LadyG

On 04/07/2023 at 13:11, MPR said:

Some 20 years ago I went on a one day diesel engine maintenance course in Rugby.  Done all my own servicing since then. The course fee, can't remember how much, paid for itself many times over.

Same here, but at Top Lock Training, 15+ years ago. It was a one-to-one session!

I tried to get on a boat maintenance course but it was booked for months ahead and never got a place after all that. However, our problems with the engine and watching someone do the service has helped me better understand where everything is. I also have arthritis in my thumbs which is a consideration but I recall past times where I have overtightened something, not tightened it enough or a simple oil seal has gone and not had a spare.

I was also wondering if having a service record, which our boat has, helps sell the boat later?

Anyhow, horses for courses.

I've always serviced by Beta 43 myself but as others have mentioned flexibility is becoming a problem with advancing age. But that's nowt compared to our two-yearly DIY dry dock visits. It now takes nearly as long to recover as the job itself.