Burnley

Laurie Booth

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Great photos. 
They’d have made good where am I photos. 

But what’s the reason/context behind sharing them?

Are you in one of them?

Are you the boy with his hands in his hips?

I was born in Burnley in the loony bin. My Grandfather was fined for stealing water from the canal that ran past his factory :)

12 hours ago, Derek R. said:

I recognise Slater's Terrace in there, and what I believe is the Weavers's Triangle sheds over the towpath. Pluto might correct me if wrong!

1988:

WeaversTriangleGen069.jpg.5366313e32ae9b0c735b8fa192793e7a.jpg

Weavers' Triangle is the term used for the area occupied by textile mills between Finsley Gate and Westgate. The warehouses were known as Manchester Road.

On stealing water, the canal company did 'hire out' water to mills for condensing, but the water had to be returned to the canal. This aspect of the canal's income was rationalised after Winterburn Reservoir opened in 1892, and they employed an engineer to examine all extractions and installations from around 1900. The charge was based upon the indicated horse power of the mill engine, and the engineer had to take indicator diagrams whilst the engines were in use. He also listed the machinery used in the mill. Power stations were charged in relation to their output. For businesses purchasing water, there was a discount on goods carried on the canal. For the canal company, it was a useful earner, and they were getting £10,000 pa in 1905.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Weavers' Triangle is the term used for the area occupied by textile mills between Finsley Gate and Westgate. The warehouses were known as Manchester Road.

On stealing water, the canal company did 'hire out' water to mills for condensing, but the water had to be returned to the canal. This aspect of the canal's income was rationalised after Winterburn Reservoir opened in 1892, and they employed an engineer to examine all extractions and installations from around 1900. The charge was based upon the indicated horse power of the mill engine, and the engineer had to take indicator diagrams whilst the engines were in use. He also listed the machinery used in the mill. Power stations were charged in relation to their output. For businesses purchasing water, there was a discount on goods carried on the canal. For the canal company, it was a useful earner, and they were getting £10,000 pa in 1905.

My Grandfather used the water to feed the boilers that heated the factory and produce electricity, he was then fined for illegal production of electricity as it was nationalised at the time. He also paid the local Dr. 0ne shilling a week per employee (200) to give them free medical services. He was not fined for that :)

To get a job in his factory you had to be good at cricket :)

24430625266_c424a48950_3k.jpg

• Greenie 2

Thanks for the correction Mike, it had to be an area.

A few more. From our 1988 visit.

WeaversTriangleIMG_20230618_0007.jpg.41eeaba9b3c8848ad231216ef1e7d4c6.jpg

There is a fascination of derelict mills similar to that of derelict railways.

So many voices saying: "We were here, we worked there - lived there . . . in a former life."

Weavers Triangle IMG_20230618_0001.jpg

Weavers Triangle IMG_20230618_0004.jpg

A water outlet?

Weavers Triangle IMG_20230618_0006.jpg

Weavers Triangle IMG_20230618_0002.jpg

Weavers Triangle IMG_20230618_0003.jpg

Edited by Derek R.
Added text

4 hours ago, Derek R. said:

There is a fascination of derelict mills similar to that of derelict railways.

So many voices saying: "We were here, we worked there - lived there . . . in a former life."

A water outlet?

Weavers Triangle IMG_20230618_0006.jpg

Difficult to be precise without knowing which mill, but it looks more like the exhaust for some sort of blower.

Some odd people worked in Burnley as this view of a part-loaded/unloaded boat outside Manchester Road toll office suggests.

IMGP1406.jpg

• Greenie 1