Pocklington Canal.

Arnac

Featured Posts

Has anyone been along this canal recently and if so could you give a quick update on the weed situation etc.

Currently at Selby and considering a trip up there over the next month, but have been told it can be so bad (weed and water depth wise) as to almost be non navigable.

Thanks in advance.

We did it last year in July, the long pound above Cottingwith was down about 4" and the weedcutter boat was broke, we still managed it. NB Earnest 2ft draught plus skeg. The run back, straight up from Barmby to Naburn was fun, unbelievable amount of floating trees, dead cows, etc up the Naburn end of the Tidal Ouse. 

• Greenie 1

Cheers Neil, just arrived at Selby today. I'll keep an eye out at Selby lock and quiz any adventurers coming up from that way.

The dead cow sounds interesting. At Goole I awoke to a stench and discovered a decomposing deer wedged between the bow and the bank 🤢

The Pocklington is very shallow and always weeded up on summer. Might be okay just now but it is very slow going from the lock to the first swingbridge. Unless things have changed, the channel connecting the river with the canal has a bit of a dogleg and longer narrowboats usually need a shunt or two. Don't try to cut the corner it's very shallower on the right bank heading to the lock.

• Greenie 1

Just now, system 4-50 said:

Keep away from deer, they carry ticks.  I was bitten by one 8 weeks ago and it is still a patch of itching spots.

You were bitten by a deer? Blimey, they must be vicious where you are... 🙂