3LW needs attention

Maudesmaster

Featured Posts

Hi I need someone with Gardner knowledge to have a look / listen to my narrow boat engine preferably on the Trent Mersey north of Fradley Junction some time middle June around Stoke would be good 

Any recommendations would be appreciated 

2 hours ago, Maudesmaster said:

Hi I need someone with Gardner knowledge to have a look / listen to my narrow boat engine preferably on the Trent Mersey north of Fradley Junction some time middle June around Stoke would be good 

Any recommendations would be appreciated 

Some more information might result in other offers. What is the actual fault? Post a video on youtube and link to it here for access to lots of advice. 

Slight blue smoke and smell of burnt oil at least one tappet tapping noise 

I just want an expert to have a look and listen and advise It starts and runs beautifully Had a problem with a few oil leaks sorted them myself 

I wanted  2 LW for the boat but unable to source from Gardner Marine

I was offered my 3 and was told it would be refurbished from an old Gardner employee who I met 50 years ago 

he was refitting a fleet of fishing boats in Argentina at the time with engines taken from wrecked ERFs Atkinsons etc 

but too late to realise he was past his sell by date now we’ll into his 90s

Don’t  know if still alive But I was already financially committed by time I realised but no regrets 

Ok thanks. Slight blue smoke doesn't sound unusual to me. Dunno about tappet noise though on a 3LW, but I doubt its serious.

I'm developing quite a taste for three cylinder vintage lumps nowadays...

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, MtB said:

Ok thanks. Slight blue smoke doesn't sound unusual to me. Dunno about tappet noise though on a 3LW, but I doubt its serious.

I'm developing quite a taste for three cylinder vintage lumps nowadays...

Time to buy  back that BD3 that you sold