Suitable Replacement Central Heating Programmer - Danfoss TP5/Mikuni System

Featured Posts

I have an old Mikuni heating system on my boat that is working ok (despite being 20 years old!) and was controlled by a Danfoss TP5 programmer/timer. Unfortunately the Danfoss TP5 programmer has broken (the metal clip that holds the batteries in place came away when I was replacing the battery). This model of programmer is no longer made by Danfoss but a few are available on ebay but it seems sensible to replace it with a 'current' device.

Couple of questions:

- Has anybody replaced a Danfloss TP5 unit and if so what 'modern' manufacturer/model programmer was used?

- Is replacing the programmer something any electrician/competent diy'er can do or does it need to be done by a heating engineer as it needs to be 'configured' with the  Mikuni unit in some way?

The good news is at least this didn't happen at the start of winter so I have time to sort out a replacement!

Any thoughts/ideas gladly received. Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine that there is anything special about the Mikini or the stat other than the stat being battery operated. It is a simple switch, one normally open contact, no accelerator heater, no normally closed contact.

So buy a battery operated programmer - timer like a Danfoss TP5000Si and connect the 2 wires to terminals 2 & 3, job done.

Just now, Owls Den said:

I’ve recently wondered if the thermostat/programmer can be replaced by a Nest or Hive type unit. 

Had one in my first house I renovated and it was so handy to turn on the heating when heading back home. Or turn off when away etc. 

Use a gate opener it's way cheaper and easier needs no internet it's all done on txt messages it's what I've done for the last 10 years.

Something like this can be wired in parallel with your existing stat, you may need an external aerial depending on location.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385454460804?

Txt message to turn on

Txt message to turn off

That's it.

Timeguard make a time clock with built in thermostat that is battery powered and would be a direct replacement for the  old Danfoss unit .

It is slightly larger and needs access on the left to change the batteries annually ( 2 x aa type )

I have this at home and the old danfoss with mikuni on the boat, they both work using similar programming format.