Shower waste pump stopped

Antony Perry

Featured Posts

Circuit beakers do not have fuses - they are the  "fuse". I might e a short circuit to negative on the wiring, but that is very unlikely. It is far more likely that the motor has seized up or shorted out inside. Both would cause excess current to flow. Disconnect a wire running to the motor, reset the breaker, and turn the pump switch on. If he breaker trips it will be wiring, if not then it is the motor.

Make sure the circuit breaker is the correct rating for the wiring size and motor current draw, although it probably is.

It would not surprise me if the shower pump looks like an ordinary domestic water pump, if so very seriously consider getting a Whale Gulper shower pump as the replacement.

Edited by Tony Brooks

If it has a circuit breaker it is unlikely to have a fuse as well.  Pop the button back in and the pump may run.  If it does you  should still investigate why it stopped.  There may be hair and soap detritus humming the work, or the motor may have expired, though they usually give some warning first.

What sort of pump is it, and why do you think it has a fuse as well as a circuit breaker?

Do you have a multi meter?

N

Sounds like seized motor. One of my boats has a Jabsco impeller pump which does this. Gentle whack with a piece of wood (don't use a hammer or hit it hard as it can dislodge the motor magnets) can help free it up. 

Whale Gulper is a lot better. 

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Sounds like seized motor. One of my boats has a Jabsco impeller pump which does this. Gentle whack with a piece of wood (don't use a hammer or hit it hard as it can dislodge the motor magnets) can help free it up. 

Whale Gulper is a lot better. 

FWIW that could just as easily be worn brushes, but then it would not trip the breaker. I have lost count of the number of those Water Puppy pumps that were not sensibly mounted and were thus subject to water leaking into the motor and rusting it up (which is what yours sounds like).  In my view they should be mounted vertically with the pump at the bottom.

That is interesting. Mine is a water puppy but it is clean as a whistle with the pump head below the motor on a sloped surface. No leaks. It doesn't get used much so this could explain the seizing up. 

I think the impeller might have hardened. Boat is about 25 yars old but very little use of the onboard equipment..

My other boat is 35 yars old with original pump again not much use but I replaced the impeller on that one and it works fine. 

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

That is interesting. Mine is a water puppy but it is clean as a whistle with the pump head below the motor on a sloped surface. No leaks. It doesn't get used much so this could explain the seizing up. 

I think the impeller might have hardened. Boat is about 25 yars old but very little use of the onboard equipment..

My other boat is 35 yars old with original pump again not much use but I replaced the impeller on that one and it works fine. 

I like the Water Puppy shower system on boats, especially hire boats. The need to keep pushing the button to pump the tray out tends to minimise water use for showering.