Use of newer Thetford cassettes with handle and wheels on an older CS200 toilet which so far has only hosted the "no wheels" variety.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I seem to have seen this topic discussed, but never with a truly definitive answer, that I can recall.

I have an old CS200, and on one cassette the flap mechanisms has failed in a way that I can see an obvious repair for.

My existing cassettes have no wheels and no handles, and the only ones I can see being marketed have these "features".

So I'm interested to hear from anyone who has been able to use wheeled cassettes in an old CS200.

Equally, of course, I am keen to hear from anybody who has tried, bu has had problems, (I have seen references to getting the cassette jammed in, so it can't be removed).

From a personal viewpoint I have to say I would far rather have neither wheels nor handles.  I would much prefer to have the biggest capacity tank possible, which will clearly not be the case if sections of the tank have to be removed to incorporate these (for me) unwanted features.  Assuming I can use a modern cassette in an old loo, can anybody give me an idea as to how much less the capacity will be.

Thank you.

If you search for Thetford cassette on this forum you will find a similar thread I started recently - albeit for a C2 cassette. Cassettes without the handle and wheels are no longer available for the C2 and the new ones do have a reduced capacity. There was however no option but to go with a wheeled one. From my limited amount of cruising so far I have learned how quickly the cassette fills up so having a spare one, even with a lower capacity, seemed essential. 

35 minutes ago, Northener said:

If you search for Thetford cassette on this forum you will find a similar thread I started recently - albeit for a C2 cassette. Cassettes without the handle and wheels are no longer available for the C2 and the new ones do have a reduced capacity. There was however no option but to go with a wheeled one. From my limited amount of cruising so far I have learned how quickly the cassette fills up so having a spare one, even with a lower capacity, seemed essential. 

Thank you.

Because we are often in areas where emptying points are not in abundance, we chose to have three cassettes in total, (1 in use, 2 others).  Currently one of the three is broken, so we are looking to replace it.

The last cassette I bought for a 200 had wheels and a handle and performs just as the old variety did. The 2 major drawbacks were less capacity and a handle which felt sharp and uncomfortable to use. The wheels on a towpath are next to useless. 

My complaints to Thetford fell on exceedingly deaf ears!

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Thank you.

Because we are often in areas where emptying points are not in abundance, we chose to have three cassettes in total, (1 in use, 2 others).  Currently one of the three is broken, so we are looking to replace it.

Generally unless the cassette case  has been damaged or has split all the mechanisms are replaceable.

Are you sure you can't repair it?

21 hours ago, Loddon said:

Generally unless the cassette case  has been damaged or has split all the mechanisms are replaceable.

Are you sure you can't repair it?

Not absolutely.

The carcass is fine - its only internal mechanisms that seem buggered.

If anyone has a link to instructions or a DIY video, I'd be most grateful.

I have 3 x C200 cassettes: 2 original non-wheeled and 1 of the new style with wheels and handle. They all perform equally except for the reduced capacity of the wheeled version. I do prefer the non-wheeled ones due to the extra capacity and just carry the wheeled version to the Elsan anyway on the rare occasions I do use it. 

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Not absolutely.

The carcass is fine - its only internal mechanisms that seem buggered.

If anyone has a link to instructions or a DIY video, I'd be most grateful.

There are lots of videos on YouTube. Just search for Thetford cassette there.