North Kilworth Marina......

Andyaero

Featured Posts

In around 15 months time I'll be looking to put a 60' narrowboat in a marina somewhere around halfway between Melton Mowbray and Northampton, Market Harborough area.

I'm thinking North Kilworth or Debdale Wharf, yes both very different marinas, that's why I'm thinking ahead! Are they owned by the same company? I only ask as their websites look very similar in design.

Plan is to be marina based for around a year before ccing.

Can you actually live 24/7 on a boat in either of these marinas and anyone here been moored for a lengthy period in either place? Opinions welcomed, Cheers.

Hiya.

Yep, the same people own North Kilworth and Debdale and if the rumour is correct, they will soon acquire Weltonfield. I can only speak from experience at North Kilworth. There are a lot of liveaboards, so much so, it's got more the character of a village than a marina  with people leaving for work in the morning, then returning of an evening. Many boats never leave the confines of the marina and some cannot. (Wide beams)

I think the term they use for liveaboards is "High users" rather than residents. A handy location though.

• Greenie 1

If you look at North Kilworths website, you will see they offer a ‘high use’ option - not live aboard per se, but as close as you will get.

a great looking Marina, and we were tempted, but we’re swayed by Stowe Hill where we have our own boat butler. Poor Matty40s 👹

Debdale is lovely and rural but would be tricky without access to a car. I think it's a fairly long walk to Foxton for the nearest bus. It's a bit less polished but seems to have a nice character. They were friendly and professional when we got our boat blacked there last year (grit-blast and epoxy, proper job ;) ).

North Kilworth does have a bus stop right outside (albeit poorly maintained) with semi-frequent buses. Shinier looking place, less shaded in winter than Debdale so might save some money there if you've got decent solar.

Not sure whether Debdale have laundry facilities, North Kilworth do (for residents only).

Market Harborough is a nice town to have nearby (with a laundrette).

There are moorings down the end of the Market Harborough Arm too but I don't know who they're operated by/whether they take liveaboards.

Edited by Ewan123
  • Greenie 1

Been in NKM since May - liking it. It's quite a large marina but the way they section things off makes it feel much smaller. Management are friendly enough. There is a bus stop as mentioned (havent used it myself). Plenty of parking if you have a car. The nearest shop (in husbands bosworth) is very over priced so avoid if you can. The nearest supermarkets are 15/20 minutes away otherwise. The grounds of NKM are really nicely maintained, with a big lake area that dogs are allowed off the lead. There's plenty of wildlife too, even otters! I've heard mixed things about the work people have had done on their boats here - haven't had any done myself so can't speak from experience.

Plenty of "high usage" moorers (be prepared to pay more than what it states on their website to be one - I pay around £925 a quater for a 60ft boat). It's a pretty friendly atmosphere generally. There are regular socials and food trucks.

There's a DIY area if for some reason you want to work on your boat but don't want to leave the marina.

They do improvement works to the marina which is more than I've heard for some. My water point hasn't worked for about 6 months but I haven't chased them about this so it's half on me (I just use a different one - one water point per pontoon).

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, DShK said:

Plenty of "high usage" moorers (be prepared to pay more than what it states on their website to be one - I pay around £925 a quater for a 60ft boat). It's a pretty friendly atmosphere generally. There are regular socials and food trucks.

Thanks for that, so do you get anything above what is on the website for that quite considerable price hike over their advertised rate, even if you include their Marina Access Package. That seems to be around £180 a quarter more than their online price.

Or are you paying for the privilege of being residential, under the radar, so to speak. I'm guessing you don't get a postal address, do they accept parcels or have, say, an amazon locker there?

Edited by Andyaero

3 minutes ago, Motorboater said:

Leicester marina might be an idea, and if your planning on staying there for a year before cruising you wont need to buy a CRT licence until you leave the marina.

Thanks, but we do plan on venturing out some weekends  Fri - Mon, using the marina as a base. Fancy something a bit more rural than the centre of Leicester.

3 hours ago, Andyaero said:

Thanks for that, so do you get anything above what is on the website for that quite considerable price hike over their advertised rate, even if you include their Marina Access Package. That seems to be around £180 a quarter more than their online price.

Or are you paying for the privilege of being residential, under the radar, so to speak. I'm guessing you don't get a postal address, do they accept parcels or have, say, an amazon locker there?

You don't really get much, but it's only "under the radar" so much as you don't pay council tax etc. It's not your legal place of residence. But you aren't pretending to anyone there that you don't live there. They will take deliveries no problem if you are high usage, it's probably the biggest plus. The reception area is always full of parcels. I've even had a lorry turn up to delivery solar panels! I think in this regard it's quite good, I'm not sure how many marinas are this relaxed about it (not that I've been in any more marinas than this one!). But when I sent an email to Yelvertoft (few hours cruise) about a mooring, they sent a rude, unprompted reply basically saying "NO LIVEABOARDS AND NO UNDER 50s!".

I think they have the usual thing in the contract about not putting washing out, but I do and many others do - never been told not to. Usually, if there is a problem, they will send a gentle encouragement in the newsletter "reminder to keep your roofs tidy!"

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Andyaero said:

Thanks, but we do plan on venturing out some weekends  Fri - Mon, using the marina as a base. Fancy something a bit more rural than the centre of Leicester.

Leicester Marina is NOT in the centre of Leicester, it is on the edge of the Thurmaston Country Park on the River Soar, in fact, cruising out of it and turning right in Summer, you only really see one canal side building (Hope and Anchor pub) other than boatyards (Thurmaston,  Harris, Sileby Mill) until you get to Mountsorrel).

27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Leicester Marina is NOT in the centre of Leicester, it is on the edge of the Thurmaston Country Park on the River Soar, in fact, cruising out of it and turning right in Summer, you only really see one canal side building (Hope and Anchor pub) other than boatyards (Thurmaston,  Harris, Sileby Mill) until you get to Mountsorrel).

Yeah thanks, I know the area, I live 20 minutes down the road. Its not for me. Handy for Costco next door tho.

Edited by Andyaero