Where is it?

Split Pin

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Split Pin said:

318729339_5911453705578458_4208963252325415444_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=7bXmvfkNiesAX993Fw9&_nc_oc=AQlk0Pd5RmjqCkCr0-MEj1wuBnSZEx9fqyoch10zIY8-BKojsCbkUqjbyKtH8kEFLjI&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfDkbekGXfP1yTZn0oBHARpIlfSp__DPiC_-P17lj02dTA&oe=6397C6E2

A photograph of an X craft used during the war years, The photograph looks to be a lock on the Aire and Calder but which one?

There was a small discussion about X craft a little while ago and here is an extract from me (about a photo of an X craft being named at Wakefield; this boat was I believe built in Hull) which may assist. This may or may not be the same craft. 

..........his vessel was involved in Operation Gambit which was part of the D Day landings. She was one of 2 X craft acting as navigational aids to facilitate navigation for the invasion fleet, marking the approaches to the beaches. It may be of interest to some that during the war there were quite a few landing craft built in Wakefield, especially in preparation for D Day - this link to the peoples war has a small description of the operation (about halfway down).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/17/a2642717.shtml

Who knew that Wakefield and Huddersfield had such connections!

Howard

Ferrybridge was my original inclination but my memory suggests that the river-canal bank is much higher now, and I don't remember the Aire being as wide as it appears in the photograph.

Maybe the bank was raised when the locks were mechanised.