Rusty multi-fuel stove and flue safe?

Jae

Featured Posts

Just wanted to get some second opinions as I have no experience with this type of fire setup.

External flue seems solid with no leaks/cracks but internal flue skin is all rust. Chunks rain down when sweeping out the flue.

The stove itself is in similar condition. No cracks/leaks apparent externally but interior is caked in rust. Wire brushed the worst out of the stove interior, but is impossible to get into all the nooks & crannies so there will inevitably still be loose rust in there.

My next-boat neighbour insists the rust will just sink into the ash pan and won't cause issues. I don't feel great about the condition of the setup but it's about to hit sub-zero and I don't have any other heat sources.

Is this safe to use in this condition? Or really, is this safe *enough* to get me through this winter?

What possible things could you forsee going wrong and what could I do to mitigate any of these problems?

I have a CO alarm and a smoke alarm so if leaks develop I will be alerted.

Any insight appreciated, thanks in advance

Rust itself isn't a problem. Leaks are.

The door seals and any seals around a door glass are important and door seals in particular are a regular, every couple of years replacement on most stoves.

Easiest check would be to light a smoke pellet in the stove. If you see any smoke coming out any where, other than the official vents and the top of the chimney, then these are the places to investigate further.

12 minutes ago, Jae said:

External flue seems solid with no leaks/cracks but internal flue skin is all rust. Chunks rain down when sweeping out the flue.

Is this a double skin flue going from the stove top to the roof, or the chimney above the roof? Some boats do have double skin interior flues, but most are still single skin here. Double skin removable chimneys are common though. If the chimney is expired, replace with a stainless steel double skin one. More expensive, but a good investment and much much longer lasting.

For the exterior, a wire brush down, then apply stove black "lead" will make it look nice again.

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Rust itself isn't a problem. Leaks are.

The door seals and any seals around a door glass are important and door seals in particular are a regular, every couple of years replacement on most stoves.

Easiest check would be to light a smoke pellet in the stove. If you see any smoke coming out any where, other than the official vents and the top of the chimney, then these are the places to investigate further.

Is this a double skin flue going from the stove top to the roof, or the chimney above the roof? Some boats do have double skin interior flues, but most are still single skin here. Double skin removable chimneys are common though. If the chimney is expired, replace with a stainless steel double skin one. More expensive, but a good investment and much much longer lasting.

For the exterior, a wire brush down, then apply stove black "lead" will make it look nice again.

If it is a new shiny double skin stainless steel chimney do not paint it black. I tried painting a new one with hi temp black paint and it looks awful. 

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If it is a new shiny double skin stainless steel chimney do not paint it black. I tried painting a new one with hi temp black paint and it looks awful. 

To clarify, I meant the exterior of the stove itself, not the chimney for using stove "lead", or high temperature paint. Added the bit about the chimney after writing about the stove aesthetics, hence potential confusion.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies