Future boat prices and an unstable economy.

Chris101

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ewan123 said:

I had a brief chat with a chsp at Great Haywood marina the other day - they've just put the prices of all their boats down a couple of weeks ago, they've noticed a seasonal cooling off in the market.

The man that runs Lakeland Leisure Boat Sales at Great Haywood marina told me last Friday he’d smashed his sales targets for the month, as I collected one he’d sold to my customer.

Looking at the ads for the remaining boats at Great Haywood there doesn’t appear to be any bargains.

Elsewhere I’ve moved four boats to the same broker in the past six weeks. One of them sold the next day (and that was last week), another sold over the weekend having arrived on a Friday, and another was sold within a week or so. The only one remaining available is at the very high end of the market.

Conclusion is that the market remains pretty strong for mid-range boats.

Edited by Captain Pegg

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

The latter I had assumed. 

Particularly as the profile states three posts but only today's survives for us to read.

Looks very botty to me:

1) unlikely profile picture

2) based in Colorado, yet has local information about UK boat prices

3) uses semicolons correctly

4) appears to have purloined narrowboat Harnser as their vessel

45 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Looks very botty to me:

1) unlikely profile picture

2) based in Colorado, yet has local information about UK boat prices

3) uses semicolons correctly

4) appears to have purloined narrowboat Harnser as their vessel

Yep, agree with all that; particularly No 3! 

No-one else here ever does.

On 27/09/2023 at 08:49, Captain Pegg said:

The man that runs Lakeland Leisure Boat Sales at Great Haywood marina told me last Friday he’d smashed his sales targets for the month, as I collected one he’d sold to my customer.

Looking at the ads for the remaining boats at Great Haywood there doesn’t appear to be any bargains.

Elsewhere I’ve moved four boats to the same broker in the past six weeks. One of them sold the next day (and that was last week), another sold over the weekend having arrived on a Friday, and another was sold within a week or so. The only one remaining available is at the very high end of the market.

Conclusion is that the market remains pretty strong for mid-range boats.

I did wonder what the prices must have been like before being lowered lowered - I was looking at them and saying my boat must be worth more than we bought it for (in London, Dec 2020!), judging by their prices.

1 hour ago, Ewan123 said:

I did wonder what the prices must have been like before being lowered lowered - I was looking at them and saying my boat must be worth more than we bought it for (in London, Dec 2020!), judging by their prices.

Indeed. There has been a change of management in that office this year and that’s brought a change of philosophy too. So it may have been an adjustment to what the new person feels is true market value, which is still relatively high prices.

There are greater  numbers of boats on brokerage locally to me compared to the not too distant past

Despite some reasonable looking asking prices (among some optimistic prices)  there is  apparently growing stock

These are GRP river and sea boats of all sizes and prices (rather than narrowboats)- all based on the non tidal river.

Not the sort of boat that most would buy to live aboard.

Maybe the live aboard appeal of narrowboats places  them a different market. 

Edited by MartynG