Plan / diagram

Bob Chamberlain

Featured Posts

Does anyone have a 'plan' or diagram of the basic hull shape of a narrowboat?  My chum is building a model for his garden railway and has obtained drawings of everything he needs above the waterline, but is struggling to find what lies beneath!  I've explained it to him but he's a bit of a perfectionist and would like to scale it all properly. we're not sure about the draught of a typical working boat from the early 1900's nor the distance from the stern to the swim where the prop emerges, or the bow shape.  Many thanks to Ray T for his photos of his model (see my post/thread under 'historic working boats') - I was going to PM Ray to ask for more photos but I can't until I've done ten posts (which is one of the reasons for this post to get my numbers up!  Haha!

Thanks,

Bob

1 hour ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

we're not sure about the draught of a typical working boat from the early 1900's nor the distance from the stern to the swim where the prop emerges, or the bow shape

Unless it's a steamer, a typical working boat from the early 1900s will not have a prop!

On 14/10/2022 at 18:08, David Mack said:

Unless it's a steamer, a typical working boat from the early 1900s will not have a prop!

The best model horses are Schleich,  harness will not be easy, I have done a few, but of course he'd need to adjust the scale of the boat. Horses were large pony size judging by the height of bridges, about 15.00 hh to 15,3hh maybe.

On 14/10/2022 at 16:31, Bob Chamberlain said:

I was going to PM Ray to ask for more photos but I can't until I've done ten posts (which is one of the reasons for this post to get my numbers up!  Haha!

Is it ten posts now? It used to be five.

But I see you have 17 now anyway....

Surely your mate doesn't need the underwater profile for a garden railway model. Or does his canal scenery involve real water?! 

Yes it says ten but it's all sorted now anyway.

Yes he does need the underwater profile because he does have real wet water in his layout. He has a 'dock' area that he wants to put a narrowboat into - not sure yet if he will actually motorise it or not...It's quite a large live steam layout in the garden.

1 hour ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

Yes it says ten but it's all sorted now anyway.

Yes he does need the underwater profile because he does have real wet water in his layout. He has a 'dock' area that he wants to put a narrowboat into - not sure yet if he will actually motorise it or not...It's quite a large live steam layout in the garden.

Does he want plans for shopping trolleys? The BCNS made a small one as a trophy 

• Haha 1