Shoreline and Inverter

Bobit

Featured Posts

Hi all

Fairly new to the narrowboat world but learning slowly.

My query is the following- 

I have a Victron MultiPlus 2kw/80Amp Inverter Charger and am based in a marina. The charger has on/off and charge only switch positions. With the shore power connected and with the inverter on 'charge only' are the sockets and appliances powered directly via the shore power, via the inverter or partly via the batteries (for the 12v lights and appliances). 

Also if I was to leave a small dimplex heater tube on over winter, is it OK to leave an AC socket switch on to power the heater, and with the inverter in 'charge only' mode.

Thanks

I will leave other with Victron owbers  to confirm my answer but yes and yes with a caveat. That is read the details of your insurance policy because there have been reports here that one insurer would only accept claims if the heater was approved for marine use. I think most policies do not say this.

51 minutes ago, Bobit said:

Hi all

Fairly new to the narrowboat world but learning slowly.

My query is the following- 

I have a Victron MultiPlus 2kw/80Amp Inverter Charger and am based in a marina. The charger has on/off and charge only switch positions. With the shore power connected and with the inverter on 'charge only' are the sockets and appliances powered directly via the shore power, via the inverter or partly via the batteries (for the 12v lights and appliances). 

Also if I was to leave a small dimplex heater tube on over winter, is it OK to leave an AC socket switch on to power the heater, and with the inverter in 'charge only' mode.

Thanks

Yes, it is how I leave my boat with Victron Combi at its mooring.

The mains is "passed through" the switched off inverter and supplies the sockets.

If you're leaving the heater on (or any other high power mains appliance like an immersion heater) only do that with the combi in the "charger only" mode.

In the event of a power cut or shore power disconnection, in other modes the combi might switch over to inverter automatically and will wreck your batteries within about half an hour.

In the charger only setting, the battery charger is powering your 12v DC system, however in effect it's basically being run from the mains. Most of the time the charger will just be in float mode.