Are the boats out for the weekend ?

haggis

Featured Posts

We had become accustomed to hardly seeing any moving boats on the Shroppie,  through Birmingham, on the Birmingham and Fazeley and the Coventry so it was a bit of a shock to see  how busy the Trent and Mersey was. 

We are now on the Staffs and Worcester and things have quietened down a bit again. 

We are seeing a lot of Eton Mess ( sorry Elton Moss) boats and apparently most are shared. I didn't know they ran a share fleet

27 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I think its Carefree Cruising who have theirs built by Eton Mess ;) 

I didn't see any mention of Carefree cruising on the boats. They just looked like the Elton Moss built boats, or what I thought were private boats. 

We followed one with a couple on board who had never been on a boat before and their first lock (tixall) was a complete mystery to them. I felt for them as another boaters and I tried to explain about locks. It brought it home to me just how much is involved in working a lock and what to watch out for. I got the impression that the preparation for their first trip was about what to take with them and not about boating. 

I hope they get on OK.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I didn't see any mention of Carefree cruising on the boats. They just looked like the Elton Moss built boats, or what I thought were private boats. 

We followed one with a couple on board who had never been on a boat before and their first lock (tixall) was a complete mystery to them. I felt for them as another boaters and I tried to explain about locks. It brought it home to me just how much is involved in working a lock and what to watch out for. I got the impression that the preparation for their first trip was about what to take with them and not about boating. 

I hope they get on OK.

Elton Moss Boatbuilders and Carefree Cruising and sister companies owned by the same people. The Carefree Cruising webpage shows a boat with only Elton Moss livery.

https://eltonmoss.com/

https://carefreecruising.com/

I guess many shareholders upgrade to their own Elton Moss built boat, so it is probably a sound business model.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Greenie 1