is it upside down or down side up..??

kiwiSteve

Featured Posts

my liner only uses 1 ring seal.. the liner they specified uses 2 seals. my liner uses the top ring and head gasket as a water seal

john the 3.8 liner only uses 1 seal with the same part number.. so would that make it the same size as the 3.4 in diameter.. ??

edit...

OK just sent another enquiry to there site and asked if the liner for the 3.8 ltr only uses 1 x o ring bottom seal and its the same part number as the 3.4 ltr then why cant the 3.4ltr as its almost identical 

thanks for pointing that out...

BMC 2.6, 3.4T, 3.4TD ** For Each Liner you will require 1 x Seal 7141A & 1 x Seal 8616 ** Liner (Wet) Dimensions; Bore Diameter 95.02mm / 3.741" Height 221.55mm / 8.722" Lip Diameter 114mm / 4.492" Lip Width 11.18mm / 0.44" External Diameter 107.27mm / 4.223"
Fits Models
Nuffield
Nuffield
344, 3DL, 4DM
Product OEM
Leyland
37D2136

8603_detailenlarge.jpg

BMC 2.8T,2.8TD, 3.8T, 3.8TA, 3.8TD Engines Upto Serial 49184. (Refer to Dimensions & / or check Serial Numbers with us Prior to Ordering). For this Liner you will require: 1 x 8616 Liner Seals & 8617 Liner Shims. Outside Diameter 4.1855" / 106.312mm. Length 8.7825" / 223.075mm. Lip Diameter 4.497" / 114.224mm. Depth of Lip 0.44" / 11.176mm.

Fits Models

Nuffield

Nuffield

10/42, 10/60, 3/45, 342, 4/60, 4/65

JCB

Backhoe Loader

2B, 3, 3C, 3D, 4C

Product OEM

JCB

02/310141

Leyland

CMK169

8607_detailenlarge.jpg

Edited by kiwiSteve

Liner OD is the same for the 95mm and 100mm bores.........your block shows zero cavitation damage ,which is good..............if the liner offered is dimensionally the same as your old liners ,or maybe a few mm different length ,the it will be OK with the correct seal..............I could list all the dimensions from my parts book,but there is no point........note that the shims included are to get the flanges the same height ,and may not be needed.

Id be more interested in knowing why the liner flanges  are broken ........maybe the wrong head gasket was used?

• Greenie 1

thanks Tracy.. it seems I managed to source some 95mm liners from charnleys in the end.. once I got some oem numbers it was easier

wont count my chickens just yet, Ive had such a hard time getting this sorted i recon anything could happen...

liner.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My old engine reconditioner, many years in the job, now not with us, always used to leave the skirt ring off. He claimed it did nothing but wear the bore and add friction.

I have run many old engines with omitted rings that he rebuilt and never experienced any problems.

Ive got one of the BMC Diesel badges ,and also the much rarer Austin Diesel ..........I should have collected the nice Leyland bus badges too ,when I had the chance ..Leopard,Panther ,Royal Tiger .....all in nice vitreous enamel........by the 1980s Leylands had crap plastic  lettering that barely lasted six months .......bit like BLMC itself.

you put your trust and money with the parts man paying good dough for your bits and they turn up wrapped in a bit of old corrugated cardboard.... what ever

bearing.jpg

Had a 465 Leyland engine once.. had to wear ear muffs when it was running it had such a bad manifold whistle...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Videos are so good at seeing wee problems you mite otherwise miss... you can see a tiny little drip of diesel appear under the bleed screw on the injector pump I would have missed that for days probably...