Paint of Spray

Featured Posts

Hmmm, welcome to the forum.

Do you intend to pay someone to do this for you or DIY, if the former you will have to use his method and paint brand, and fork out a big wack of money. A really good paint job requires removal of fittings, windows, portholes,  paint and rust, it can take three weeks, assuming everything goes well. Two weeks is more usual, I believe. I've heard prices £4K to £14K, that's up north, and of course signwriting  and fancy detail is extra.

I DIY. This year I was fortunate to get a slot in paint shed, so no haul out, and mains power available.  It still took about two weeks , most of that was sanding, I did not remove windows, so it was not professional standard. I prefer roller and brush on as you can get the thickness required. The finish of the topcoat will reflect the preparation. Generally one coat primer, sand, two undercoat, sand, two topcoats. A lot of work and a lot of expertise required.

I see lots of brand new boats with a high gloss spray finish, its pretty much a factory finish and looks great, but is it is going to show up scratches and even dirt! I've done a fair bit of painting, but would not tackle spraying, even with a temperature controlled shed. It's very skilled. With a roller and brush finish it will be less obvious if you need to touch up.

I have painted mine twice because the first colour was not to my liking. I used different paints, mid price paints, perfectly good quality. It's a big job.

How long it lasts is a bit of a moot point, I see boats every day that probably have not been re painted from new, some are in good condition. Others have faded, or paint peeling, or rusting. Hire boats may be painted every year, they will be inside, temperature controlled and may be sprayed. So really there is no answer tyour question, it all depends :)

Edited by LadyG

I do what please prefer painted, because when it needs attending to, I can do it myself.

So far as which looks better, a professional sprayed job is usually going to look better.  However, an expensive jobby like that seriously affects your behaviour out on the cut.  
You'll find yourself forging up the middle of the canal panicking in case you drag the offside of your boat through brambles.

Sharing in a wide lock will cause palpitations when the other boater walks down their gunnel between you while brandishing a windlass.