Compatibility: wood rot treatment with epoxy resin

Sabine

Featured Posts

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice about repairing a wooden roof. I've stripped back to the plywood and intend to put a layer of epoxy, another layer of ply and then finish with more epoxy. The edges of the existing ply are quite ragged, and there's previously been leakage through the hardware fixings, so although the roof seems dry and sound now, I'm considering using a mold treatment before adding the new layers on top. Is this a good idea? Will it affect the adhesion of the epoxy? Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Sabine said:

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice about repairing a wooden roof. I've stripped back to the plywood and intend to put a layer of epoxy, another layer of ply and then finish with more epoxy. The edges of the existing ply are quite ragged, and there's previously been leakage through the hardware fixings, so although the roof seems dry and sound now, I'm considering using a mold treatment before adding the new layers on top. Is this a good idea? Will it affect the adhesion of the epoxy? Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

You might find this helpful 

I don't know about mold treatment, but I've used epoxy resin on top of Cuprinol wood  hardener.

Edited by koukouvagia

If by mold treatment you mean one of the clear wood preservers which soak into the surface prevents biological growth, then you will need to wait till it is thoroughly dry before putting epoxy over it.  These are oily products and the oil takes a week of two to soak in and for the surface to become really dry.

Wood hardeners are normally a polyester or acrylic resin which soaks into and supplements the remaining wood fibres so when the resin  has gone off it will bond OK to epoxy.

N

On 23/08/2022 at 13:39, koukouvagia said:

You might find this helpful 

I don't know about mold treatment, but I've used epoxy resin on top of Cuprinol wood  hardener.

That's very useful, thanks!

On 23/08/2022 at 14:25, BEngo said:

If by mold treatment you mean one of the clear wood preservers which soak into the surface prevents biological growth, then you will need to wait till it is thoroughly dry before putting epoxy over it.  These are oily products and the oil takes a week of two to soak in and for the surface to become really dry.

Wood hardeners are normally a polyester or acrylic resin which soaks into and supplements the remaining wood fibres so when the resin  has gone off it will bond OK to epoxy.

N

Yes, I was thinking about the fungicide/mold killer that seeps into the wood; thanks for this info. Once the surface has dried out, what sort of surface prep is required before painting on the epoxy?

On 23/08/2022 at 15:09, PaulJ said:

I would have a look at Bonda Marine primer or the Bonda Marine G4 depending on what you are doing.

Used it very successfully on a ply cabined boat.

That's handy to know, thank you. I can see this being very useful for the shabbier areas.

Cheers!