Wi Fi help/advice needed

Annie cariad

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Is there anyone offering a mobile WiFi advice and Installation service I am baffled by what's available  V what I really need . 

I don't know, but I have an excellent signal service on my boat with Three.

I don't download films or something, I watch YouTube and sometimes TV,  

I have a Huawei mifi modem which has two tiny aerial sockets, it cost about £130, and I have twin tiny magnetic aerials from Amazon's  £19.99.

If you venture in to a mobile type shop rather than a computer shop you'll get better advice, but they will not know about boats. I can carry my mifi router with me anywhere. It has a sim card. I think my phone also has a sim card, so both have mobile telephone numbers. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I have a smart TV which was left on the boat and I know it can use the Three signal, but I just use my tablet.

I think my phone picks up internet from the same router. And incredibly (for me) I got it to Bluetooth to a Bluetooth gadget which also picks up radio.

I'm no expert, but if I can manage to get all these things working by trial and error, anyone can!

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Is there anyone offering a mobile WiFi advice and Installation service I am baffled by what's available  V what I really need . 

Really depends on what you need, is it occasional browsing or high bandwidth gaming or something in between?

I am working from our boat and need good bandwidth for Teams meetings and unlimited data, I use a SIM from Smarty (get a month free using my referral code https://i.smarty.co.uk/ptE8nf) and I have a Huawei router with internal antenna but an optional external antenna if required.

Just now, Puffling said:

It's just a £10 voucher for Amazon or John Lewis these days, Rob-M.

Still, better than nowt 😊

I'm currently using a free month from a work colleague who has just switched their mobile phone to Smarty, I did see something about different offers depending how long it was from requesting to activating the SIM.  Perhaps they have given away too many free unlimited months.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I'm currently using a free month from a work colleague who has just switched their mobile phone to Smarty, I did see something about different offers depending how long it was from requesting to activating the SIM.  Perhaps they have given away too many free unlimited months.

Seems the offer is open to interpretation, then. Happy that you got your free month.

I can't see them carrying on with the free month offer since other networks seem to be either upping their rates or reducing data allowances. As massive electricity consumers, mobile providers must be seeing their bills escalate too 😞

5 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Seems the offer is open to interpretation, then. Happy that you got your free month.

I can't see them carrying on with the free month offer since other networks seem to be either upping their rates or reducing data allowances. As massive electricity consumers, mobile providers must be seeing their bills escalate too 😞

Just checked the Smarty web site and it does now only mention the £10 gift card so looks like they have stopped the free month.