Standedge tunnel

haggis

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Mike55 said:

We tried to get on that cruise, but it was already full. Subsequently a space became available, but by then we'd already set off on a trip 'down south '.

Shame we missed you!

In the end only 5 boats did the trip. The closure of Bosley and Marple meant that several boats which planned on coming from that direction couldn't make it. Then there was the closure on the east of the Huddersfield Narrow. The organisers retrieved some of the trip by arranging for the boats to be allowed to go through Standedge then come back through, some the next day and some about 10 days later. In the event, the stoppage on the east side was fixed in time for 1 boat, Waters Edge to actually complete the cruise as it had been planned.  It was a fantastic trip. 

haggis

Did it both ways on my boat a couple of years ago…it was brilliant…I do want to go back on one of the full length trips on the trip boat though as I was too busy avoiding hitting the boat on anything to really appreciate fully the adits and construction….it was more than a tad wet inside when we did it…and having a vertical exhaust meant I had to spend a while cleaning after it. Alistair the volunteer guide was brilliant! 

Yes the guides are fantastic! I sat in the front and Terry was on the back with Iain and he talked for the whole hour and a half the trip took, He is so knowledgeable about the tunnel and gave stacks of interesting facts as well as warning Iain of any impending tricky bits. I could hear most of what he said and it made the trip even more enjoyable. He said he just loves the tunnel and that was obvious. 

I must admit to not being over enthusiastic about doing the trip but it was on Iains bucket list. I am SO glad we did it

haggis

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

Yes the guides are fantastic! I sat in the front and Terry was on the back with Iain and he talked for the whole hour and a half the trip took, He is so knowledgeable about the tunnel and gave stacks of interesting facts as well as warning Iain of any impending tricky bits. I could hear most of what he said and it made the trip even more enjoyable. He said he just loves the tunnel and that was obvious. 

I must admit to not being over enthusiastic about doing the trip but it was on Iains bucket list. I am SO glad we did it

haggis

When we did it Alistair stood on the foredeck with my OH as apparently they had been told not to stand on a trad stern as a guide had not long gone for an impromptu swim…so she had all the “fun” parts explained and I got told the important bits like adits to stop at and sticky out bits! She said it was fascinating and she usually hates tunnels! I was mentally knackered at other end! It’s a lot of concentration for a man!! 

Edited by frangar

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

For both of our trips, the chaperone stood inside the hatch area with iain behind him. Seemed to work well . We were just glad that post Covid, Iain could drive the boat through himself.

I’m not sure my physical build and that of my boat would allow that these days…my OH reminds me that 30 years ago we both used it fit in the hatch on a cold day…..obviously the boat has shrunk in time! 

I agree though steering one’s boat through oneself is the only way…might have been stressful in parts but I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. It’s part of the experience. 

Edited by frangar